• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a new TV from 3 alternatives

Panco90

Hey guys, I'm in need for a new TV, since my Pansonic is reaaaly old. I'm not that into newest TV technology, therefore I'm asking for your help to spend my money wisely. Basically, I've considered my budget and narrowed my alternatives to 3. These are:

Sony KDL-40EX720
Samsung UE40D6500
LG 42LW4500

I'm mostly interested in high picture contrast/quality, highly functional 3D (2D to 3D conversion especially) is a bonus of course, but not the highest priority.
Also on which of these I could run a 3D movie using a USB flash?

Which one of these would you recommend overall and why?
Thanks a lot.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Will the TV be in a bright room or can you control ambient/direct light on it? If it'll be around light I would go w/ the Sony hands down because of their matte screens as opposed to Sam's high gloss screen that attracts light like a moth to the flame. I don't even turn the lights on in my basement when I use my samsung TV because I see the glare (though I prefer pitch black environment so I went w/ that b/c to me the Samsungs had the best picture).

I personally do not like LG at all, but that's a taste thing. To each their own on that and my own is to never even consider LG as an option.

As far as 3d from USB I have no idea if those will or won't run that. Consider googling it, but that seems a pretty specific task...

Overall, I'd take the Samsung b/c to me it has the best picture and by far the best Customer Support. If light will be an issue then Sony all the way. Still a great tube, and far superior at ambient light handling.

Panco90

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, the room is pretty bright. The wall is made of glass, during the daytime, room is really shinny.
So, I suppose, Sony has to be the best choice.
Also, is there a big difference in pictures' quality between Samsung one and Sony? What about functions/applications/features between Sony and Samsung, are they essentially different? And do you happen to know, how good is 3D support in Sony KDL-40EX720?
That's a lot of questions, I know, just personal opinions are usually way more objective than official descriptions :)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium