1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a new TV from 3 alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Panco90, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Panco90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm in need for a new TV, since my Pansonic is reaaaly old. I'm not that into newest TV technology, therefore I'm asking for your help to spend my money wisely. Basically, I've considered my budget and narrowed my alternatives to 3. These are:

Sony KDL-40EX720
    Samsung UE40D6500
    LG 42LW4500

I'm mostly interested in high picture contrast/quality, highly functional 3D (2D to 3D conversion especially) is a bonus of course, but not the highest priority.
    Also on which of these I could run a 3D movie using a USB flash?

Which one of these would you recommend overall and why?
    Thanks a lot.

2. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Will the TV be in a bright room or can you control ambient/direct light on it? If it'll be around light I would go w/ the Sony hands down because of their matte screens as opposed to Sam's high gloss screen that attracts light like a moth to the flame. I don't even turn the lights on in my basement when I use my samsung TV because I see the glare (though I prefer pitch black environment so I went w/ that b/c to me the Samsungs had the best picture).

I personally do not like LG at all, but that's a taste thing. To each their own on that and my own is to never even consider LG as an option.

As far as 3d from USB I have no idea if those will or won't run that. Consider googling it, but that seems a pretty specific task...

Overall, I'd take the Samsung b/c to me it has the best picture and by far the best Customer Support. If light will be an issue then Sony all the way. Still a great tube, and far superior at ambient light handling.

3. Panco90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, the room is pretty bright. The wall is made of glass, during the daytime, room is really shinny.
    So, I suppose, Sony has to be the best choice.
    Also, is there a big difference in pictures' quality between Samsung one and Sony? What about functions/applications/features between Sony and Samsung, are they essentially different? And do you happen to know, how good is 3D support in Sony KDL-40EX720?
    That's a lot of questions, I know, just personal opinions are usually way more objective than official descriptions :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received: