1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choppy for a few..then just fine.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SlipSlice, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well I have had this system now for about 3 weeks, and has been running great. Can't say I have had any problems out of it. But when I go to game, the more demanding games such as Battlefield 2, or Ghost Recon:AW, and maybe F.E.A.R sometimes., I get some choppyness when I get in for about 30 seconds.. After that time lengh, it is so smooth and not a hiccup one.. and I am getting high frame rates, so it wouldn 't be my card. Which leads me to think that it is probably my RAM right? Should I upgrade to 2Gigs when I get the money? Would it make a quite noticable difference in gaming?

Thanks for any information that you guys can give me. And if I have left anything out that you might need to know, don't hesitate to ask.

S1iP
    :toast:

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I think you should get yourself a faster hard drive/configure a RAID 0 array. More/faster RAM would also do the trick. I think that your problem lies in the loading of the game. If there's not enough/fast enough swap space, the system will slow down until everything balances out for your game. Overclocking the proccie/ going dual core would also give you a signifigant performance increase in demanding games :).

3. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, so you think it is the harddrive? And what do you mean by configuring a RAID 0 Array? I have never messed with nothing like that. And yes, I will be getting another gig within another month or so hopefully. Because, that is what I think the problem is..and if it isn't, it don't hurt to have extra ram anywayz, ya know?

But get back at me.
    S1iP

4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    most of those games are realy demanding for ram because if u are runing it at full settings u need more ram then 1 gig

5. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:

Yea..i do have everything maxed, with really no graphics lag..1024X768..It is just that it takes a minute to smoothe in, then I am fine..

6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    More ram, move make a partition at the end of your hdd and then move the page to that partition only (dedicated page partition), defrag...those should fix those slow downs.

but memory for sure...

the problem is that you comp is running low on mem, and starts using the hdd has virtual memory, and as you know hdds are much slower than memory.

I had the problem with bf2 with 512...it sucked, upgraded to 1gb...better, 2gb....ran very smooth, 4gb...not a hitch.

7. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:

Well I don't know nothing about moving a partition, lol.. But what I do know is that, I am going to have to get another Gig at least, lol. I should be good then. Until the next generation of games come out...then we might have to bump it up to 4 gigs. LIke u. :)

8. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You use partition magic, and make a 3-5gig partition at the end of your hard disk, then you go to control panel, system, advance...and remove the page from the drive that its on right now and make a new one on the new partition. the outer rim of the hdd is about 8228rpm...if you have a 7200rpm.

9. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    lol

The outer rim still spins at 7200rpm, it just covers more area per spin then at the inner rim of the disk. And I always thought the beginning of the disk used the outer egde and would be faster compared to the end of the disk.

10. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I download "Partition Magic", then I make a 3-5 Gig partition, then Control Panel>System>Advance then I remove the partition that is on it. So then how do I make a new one on the partition once I deleted the other one?

11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_disk_sector_structures.htm

look at the charts...zone 0 is outer, zone 14 is inner

the data transmission almost doubled!!! but what they used are old hdd's so the increase these days wont be that great...but there will be some.

also a nice article... http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/constSpindle-c.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  12. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    yea thats what i said....

"Since data is written to the outer tracks of a drive first, hence the drive is filled with data from the outside in."

The beginning of the disk is faster, so placing the swap file at the end means it will be at the slowest part of the disk. I always put the swap file near the beginning of the disk and make sure its not fragmented.

13. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    meh....make it 4gb i guess...

15. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok..then what?

Please list the complete steps to finish doing this, so I don't have to ask each time. :)

And just a question, why am I doing this in the first place? Will it benefit me?

Thanks. S1iP

16. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    hmmm....:toast:

and zone 14 is the slowest in terms of transfer speed.

17. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

this is how i have set my slipslice.

also remember you have to hit "set" to each change.

18. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    "end of your HDD" would be zone 14

Just sounds like you need more ram SlipSlice. It may be the video card aswell since it has 256MB local memory and i believe fear needs 350MB or so on max settings.

19. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Set your min and max values the same then defrag. Say 2112mb (Rush). :rockout: This helps keep windows from shitting your swap file all over your drive = better swap performance.

20. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    in terms of hard drives work by outer to in.

zone 0 = outer rim = start

zone 14 = center = end

21. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    so the end would be slowest right?

22. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
    That will have the opposite effect. If you move the page file to the end of the harddisk, it will load faster there, sure, a bit. But you will lose much more performance than you gain because the head of the harddisk will jump around like crazy during paging, moving up and down the whole distance on the harddisk between game data, OS data and the page file.

If you only have one harddisk, then the point is to keep everything as close together as possible and defragmented at the same time. Best thing though is OS on one harddisk, programs and pagefile on another. RAID wouldn't help either, access times would be even worse.

Nothing he could do to the harddisk or pagefile will outweigh another nice 1GB of RAM.

23. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I did it..so I don't need to put anything on that drive right...that is just for the page file correct?

Just sounds like you need more ram SlipSlice. It may be the video card aswell since it has 256MB local memory and i believe fear needs 350MB or so on max settings.

ANd yes, I will be adding another Gig also Frank..i was just giong to post what was going on, just to see if it was something other than ram.

:toast:

24. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Jadawin..I think you just answered my question..im sry KTR, but everybody seems to be going against you on this one..I am going to just have to delete the partition..but how?

25. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    think frank`s right,though putting your swap file on a different partition
    can help.also set both min and max values for it 2 the same to stop it
    resizing.to answer the question, i think the program (bf2) is caching or
    buffering the textures for the game when it starts.thats why it takes
    a while to stop lagging.mine does the same.