1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choppy video on full screen

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by hondochica, Feb 16, 2013.

1. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    SOLVED!! Choppy video on full screen

Greetings all;

I have an old refurbished pc - running Win 7 home; using it solely for internet TV (netflix, and major networks like CBS and USA viewing)

MB: Lenovo 9300A15
    CPU: Intel Pentium E2140
    chipset: Intel 946 PL/GZ southbridge: 82801 GB (ICH 7/R)
    2 GB memory DDR2
    Bios: Lenovo 2QKT22AUS 7/2007

I installed a separate graphics card ZOTAC ZT-60604-10L GeForce GT 610 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI

I have the computer hooked up to a Samsung TV UN32EH5000 - via hdmi. works great except:

When I try to watch videos on network websites (like NCIS - on CBS) - and I try to go 'full screen' the video is choppy and audio doesn't sync. If I reduce to the little viewer on the website - everything works great.

Now, I don't have this problem with Netflix - full screen video is great - although sometimes it does seem a bit delayed - on fast movings scenes - doesn't seem like it's fully keeping up - but completely watchable - no real choppiness or audio out-of-sync.

Any idea what's up with the other videos (CBS etc) on full screen? Using Firefox browser - latest version. I do not have these problems on my desktop PC - which is a much, much newer system.

yes I have the latest drivers for the new card.

Is it just that the Pentium chip won't keep up? This is my fear.

Thanks in advance

kelly
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    did u install and update drivers?
  3. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    choppy video

yes, have the latest drivers - still no help!

thanks!

kelly
  4. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    If your not already try running it at 1280x720....that's the native resolution to the shows when they air on cable or sat.

OH and make sure you disabled the onboard graphics in the bios
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    hondochica says thanks.
  5. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like a problem of the browser you are using, or software acceleration problem (while hardware should be used as it is supported).
  6. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    choppy video

Jmcslob: the onboard graphics is completely disabled - of that I am absolutely sure - had many problems with this when I got the new video card. Will try a different resolution.

Kaynar; I am using the same browser - including same version on my main desktop - (a much newer HP) and do not have this problem. Videos from any source play just fine and dandy! It's only on this older refurbished computer that I have this problem. Same windows version also, but the older computer has 32-bit; my main desktop HP runs 64 bit - don't think that's the problem.

Can this older cpu: Pentium E2140 handle the video feed at full screen? or is it bottlenecked? I ran GPU-z - and the gpu load is at 99% in full screen mode.

will try a different resolution and get back to you . .

Thanks for your help!

kelly
  7. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    You're not running Win7 x64 are you?
    If you are that would explain a lot....

If not I'd try first going down to a resolution of 1600x900 and that should help a lot, It's basically the next best resolution for a 16x9 1080p TV...if not drop it down to 1366x768...that might give you small bars on top...and then if you still have issues then try 1280x720
  8. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    No it wouldn't. I run netflix and HD videos all the time on win 7 x 64 and have 0 issues..
    hondochica says thanks.
  9. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solved!! choppy video

Hi Jmcslob;

YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!! I tried 1280x720 and voila' beautiful video in full screen. It took the tv or computer a few seconds to clean up the picture - it was pretty pixalated (sp?) at first, but then - lovely - and audio in perfect sync. I will try other higher resolutions - but at least I have a fix!

there are still very fine lines on occasion - but nothing i can't live with.

btw: I'm running win 7 x32 (32-bit - I'm assuming "x64" meant 64-bit)

thank you soooo much!

Kelly
    jmcslob says thanks.
  10. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Win7 x64 wouldn't have been the problem....2gb with 7 x64 would have been the problem.

And when on CBS.com I get pixels at first as well...it takes like 30-40 seconds to clear up...probably the time it takes to fill the buffer
  11. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    2gb wont be a problem either. win7 is okay with 2gb. no gaming though.

i think you should click on the video, select flash settings and enable hardware acceleration. what browser are you using?
    jmcslob says thanks.
  12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    LOL you're right it will be fine....Vista was the resource hog that gave you issues with 2gb or less and I think that was with the onboard IGP sharing memory from the system...
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yes. i used win7 with 2Gb and discrete graphics. always had around a gig left for my use.
  14. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    If decreasing the resolution simply eliminated the problem, then it is likely that the graphics card is having difficulties. 610 is a low end card. So that may be it. Also, there might be a issue with the speed of your internet connection. That is when you switch to higher resolution, it takes time to buffer and you face choppiness. So you may want to try increasing you main resolution to 1920*1080 but decreasing the video player resolution. You can also try watching a full HD video from a DVD or downloaded content to see if you face the problem. That should rule out internet connection speed bottlenecks.
  15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i dont think choppy means what you think it means.
  16. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yes I very much know man. My dad was experiencing the same problem while he was watching some online business videos in 480p. The video was something like it was very quickly paused and resumed and the audio and video was not syncing. So I switched the video player resolution to 360p and the problem was reduced. 240p solved the whole problem but looked ugly. So I switched to 360p which works "well enough" for my dad. So it is the internet connection you see. Might be his case too since basically, he's doing the same thing. I don't think the computer configuration is the issue since now-a-days even smartphones with a 1.2 GHz CPU and a suitable GPU can easily handle 1080p videos. His computer configuration is way above that.
  17. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    choppy video

Greetings all;

I love that there is this whole side conversation going on about my question! However, because no one was replying to "me" - I had no idea there were more posts. I happened to revisit this page - well doesn't matter 'cuz here I am!

So . . . I think itsajkt has the right idea - the video seems to stop and start - but so quickly that it just looks choppy - which also puts the audio out of sync.

yes, the card is not the greatest, but I didn't realize when I bought this dinosaur of a computer, that it would not have a pci-e 16x slot for a more modern video card - though I had always planned on upgrading the card as I needed an hdmi output for the TV. and I had to find a card for an ancient pci slot! Boy - this whole thing became far more complicated than I ever anticipated. Lessons for a novice!

Anyway - here I am. Perhaps I should have stated upfront that the internet connection is via wifi - and a netgear whatachamajigger - boy - I am a novice - can't even think of what ya call the thing! anyway - the router is only 30 ft away - no solid walls. I can run a cable to the computer and do a direct connect to see if that cleans up the video in full screen at full resolution.

And How would I decrease the video resolution? that one really has me stumped!

Also have not tried a DVD - will give that a shot and see what happens!

This forum is becoming my go-to place! Much more helpful than Tom's Hardware - got no answers at all there - just some Australian accusing me of being rude - apparently because I use "spacings" . . . . I have no idea!

Thanks for your help - stay tuned if you're interested

Kelly
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just decrease the video resolution in Windows.... Right click on the desktop and select "personalize".

A different video card won't do anything since video is processed through the processor. I just put together an old machine using a single core skt754 CPU. I had to lower the resolution as well to get rid of the lag/choppiness.
  19. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    The website in which you are watching the video should have an option to change the resolution just like in YouTube. Look for the common settings icon. And running a full HD video from a DVD or downloaded content should eliminate any internet speed issues. If it lags, then its your computer. If it does not, then it is the internet connection.
  20. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    At www.cbs.com you don't get a choice....the player decides for you and it sucks....it's still just a flash player though
  21. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Thats bad. :p
  22. hondochica

hondochica New Member

Thanks Received:
    choppy video

erocker - you suggested just decreasing the resoultion in windows. actually I decreased the resolution through the nvidia software that came w/ the card/drivers. I was confused by itsakjt's comment to: . . "you may want to try increasing you main resolution to 1920*1080 but decreasing the video player resolution." I don't understand what the 'video player resolution'.

anyway - still have testing to do w/ internet connection and dvd. too many other things to do today.

kelly
  23. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Search for something similar to this thing

[​IMG]

^Video player resolution.
    Keep your main desktop resolution at 1920*1080.