• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Circuit diagram for Creative S750 speakers, and advice about checking resistors etc

Processor Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard Maximus III Formula P55
Cooling Ultima 90i
Memory 4GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) PNY GTX465 @ GTX470 w/ 1280MB vRAM
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB + 2x1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Black Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Antec NeoHE 550W
Software 7 Ultimate 64bit, OSX
Hi all, I recently bought a set of Creative Gigaworks S750 speakers (7.1, THX etc). They are made by Creative but I think they are somehow connected to Cambridge Soundworks (maybe rebranded?). Anyway I bought them as faulty - the amp won't power on - and hope to fix the amp (BASH, 500W rms or so). I can see a few resistors with burned connectors in the power board so I'm hoping they're causing the problem and I can just replace them. I would like to get hold of a circuit diagram because I think a resistor is missing, and also it would just be helpful in general.
Here is the product page:
http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=113&product=9306

I also have a question about resistors, and how to check they're working. I have a multimeter which can measure resistance and other things, I'm assuming I can just measure the resistance across a resistor and if it is off the scale/infinite then it's broken?

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
I've always wondered how Creative managed to get THX approval for a speaker system that doesn't meet THXs specification in any respect?:confused:

Back on topic, the speakers may be still under warranty, perhaps Creative can fix it or replace it free of charge.

Edit:

Yeah I know the THX thing is very weird, somehow the Logitech Z5500s and Z2300are certified as well... There's no way any of these systems (or anything made by Logitech/Creative) are up to any THX spec...
On the warranty front, Im pretty sure the guy I bought them off said they're out of warranty unfortunately. Hmm, gonna have another look at the amp...

What is your budget?

You might be better off fiinding say £300 and putting together a AV receiver and some cheap bookshelf speakers.

The Creative S750 is pretty old so finding a new amp will be difficult.

Edit 2:

Meh, I already have a few AV systems at home (Pioneer AX5, Quad L-ites etc), I just bought these as a project as they were pretty cheap (faulty), thought I'd have a go at repairing the amp. If I can't, Ill just hook them up to a spare receiver at home. I had a look on ebay but couldnt see any S750 amps going, maybe one will pop up some time. I've also just emailed Creative so I'll wait to see what they say (maybe I could buy a replacement amp from them).

I wish you the best of luck with your project. :toast:

Last edited:
Cooling Ultima 90i
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Black Cosmos S
Yeah I know the THX thing is very weird, somehow the Logitech Z5500s and Z2300are certified as well... There's no way any of these systems (or anything made by Logitech/Creative) are up to any THX spec...
On the warranty front, Im pretty sure the guy I bought them off said they're out of warranty unfortunately. Hmm, gonna have another look at the amp...

Cooling Ultima 90i
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Black Cosmos S
Meh, I already have a few AV systems at home (Pioneer AX5, Quad L-ites etc), I just bought these as a project as they were pretty cheap (faulty), thought I'd have a go at repairing the amp. If I can't, Ill just hook them up to a spare receiver at home. I had a look on ebay but couldnt see any S750 amps going, maybe one will pop up some time. I've also just emailed Creative so I'll wait to see what they say (maybe I could buy a replacement amp from them).