1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Civilization 5??

Discussion in 'Games' started by MxPhenom 216, Jan 22, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone play Civ 5. And how to do you like it??

2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I think its pretty enjoyable although it can be a time sink and I am not very good at it right now. I only play it occasionally.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes a very good game but very time consuming. It is a nice relaxing break from the other fast paced games I play.

4. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats what im looking for. something to get into and actually a game to think about and figure stuff out. i like the diplomacy aspect

Doesnt it use Dx11??

5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it has a DX11 and DX9 mode.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    does it have like tesselation and all that?? I like how its a PC Exclusive

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I doubt that I could even tell.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    i like the game but i hate the bug, it keep crashing when reaching late era using huge map. found many same complaint in the civ forum.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tested if its just hitting the 2GB address space limit?

mauriek says thanks.
  10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah diplomacy is nice but i prefer back it up with huge army
    But its kinda nice game

11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I really enjoy it. The wife got it for me at Christmas and when I installed it a day later...
    I sat there playing for 10 hours with coffee and smoke breaks.

No crashes, but I got nuked and all my (so-called) friends ran like scared rabbits.

Practice is helping, but, I don't think I was cut out to build a civilization...:)

12. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does hit the limit. At around turn 40 mine was using 1.66GB (effectively the start of the game), then crashing much later on when shit got hectic; I was playing on Terra/Huge map, max Civs and City-states. Used LAA and haven't had any crashes since.

mauriek says thanks.
  13. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never played any of the previous Civ games before 5 but I see it as pretty lacking. Seems very similar to Rise of Nations except diplomacy and culture added in, plus it was real time. Makes me want to play that instead.

Diplomacy is extremely lacking in the face of games like Galactic Civilizations 2: Twilight of Arnor.

14. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I play Civ5 and I like it. It's a departure from some things in the previous games. Units don't stack, so you need to use them more tactically and such. They removed religion from the game and scaled back diplomacy a bit with this version. I think it makes for a good game, and it worth the purchase.

It does use tessellation in DX11 mode, and I think the game looks spectacular.

15. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    ahh..this is why i love TPU forum, you both right, just test it and confirmed..no more crash. thanks a lot guys.. :respect:

may i share this and the file to other civ forum? or should i link to this forum, i know some of my playmate there will be really grateful to solved their crashing problem.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. ZenEffect New Member

Thanks Received:
    Civ IV > Civ V

17. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Great game!!! Start when I wake up, finish when I go to bed... Makes me wish a stronger CPU. It is very frustrating when I must wait for next turn for almost 1 minute. Drives mu nuts, especially in tense situations. Wish i have one of those new Intel-s CPU s...

18. ZenEffect New Member

Thanks Received:
    its suprising to me how many 2k games get discussed in this forum. kinda makes me want to go "hey! you can see me in the credits!" :D

to be completely truthful, im not a civ fan. just not my kind of game.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    link back to the TPU thread. we want knowledge of that fix to spread, as its getting more and more common as a problem.

20. Depth

Thanks Received:
    I love it, it did away with the "pollution" aspect of Civ4.

Pretty fun to build the Persian pyramids in south america then moving north to invade the Germans :toast:

21. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that happens to me too when I go for big maps. Time to upgrade CPU? But I'm broke :p

Hahaha... walk softly and carry a big gun.

22. makwy2

makwy2

Thanks Received:
    A really fun game. A time sink no doubt but very enjoyable with infinite re-play value. Heck, I still play Civ IV and III from time to time.

I just want to point out that contrary to an earlier post, Civ 5 is a turn-based strategy game, NOT real time.

Lastly, What is LAA - mentioned when referring to the 2gb fix?

23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna get it when I have time to play it. So far this winter has been as busy for me as the summer. But the pay is great.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. Depth

Thanks Received:
    One thing I do not understand, however, is why does building the Giant Death Robot require uranium, when one of the technologies required for it is cold fusion? Do they fuse uranium? Sounds pretty dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  25. gvblake22

gvblake22

Thanks Received:
    I am a newcomer to the world of Civilization and decided to see what the fuss was about with Civ 5. After a bit of learning, I have to admit that I was completely addicted. I'm a long time Supreme Commander player, so I'm used to that type of gameplay and Civ 5 slows things down a lot. But I think that's a good thing because you can actually relax and play without feeling like you need to be on a caffine/adrenaline high to keep up with what is happening on the screen.

Games typically last for several hours (or more depending on the map size, game speed, and victory condition), so you will be saving a lot. There is no real campaign (aside from the Mongolian "scenario"), so it is always what you make of it each time you play. You can change every aspect of the game when you set it up and the maps are randomly generated each time so it's always a new game (which adds to the replay value a lot).

So coming from someone who has never played Civilization before, Civ 5 gets a buy recommendation from me. It's still pretty expensive and still has some quirks/bugs, but that still doesn't ruin the experience. There are enough different ways to play and win that it keeps you coming back for more. Combine that with the sheer size of the game once it gets going and you really will find yourself saying, "ok, just ONE more turn!"

Check out Civilopedia V Online for an idea of what the game content is like (units, civilizations, resources, etc). It really helped me put some things in perspective because there really is a lot to learn with this game.