1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Discussion in 'Games' started by 64K, Apr 13, 2014.

1. 64K

Thanks Received:
    digibucc, hellrazor and adulaamin say thanks.
  2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Cool.

Civ II spoiled me; I played so much of it that I never got into the sequels as deeply, especially Civ III. It's probably a good game but at launch I just thought it was so underwhelming as a sequel that I went back to Civ II until Civ IV came out. I occasionally play Civ V though not for long as it feels bloated.

I hope for good thing from this new one!

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Definitely interested in this one.

4. D R E N

D R E N

Thanks Received:
    Obviously I'm a huge fan of space related things. Looking forward to spending a lot of hours in this one. Would love to get a dedicated group of TPU players together if you guys want to do some multi-player.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If they can get the ambiance from Alpha Centauri it will be good.

6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I would like the whole play through if a player already has CIV 5, make incremental wins that tally for your total win.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Like the games just merging together once you get to 2050? or something else?

8. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    While I've played all the civilization games, and I like Civilization 5, I can't say I'm excited about a new game for one reason. I have very little hope that if the developers implement online multiplayer that it will actually be playable.

Civilization multiplayer has never been stable since it was first introduced in Civ 4. It's basically impossible complete full a Civ 5 game online without the host (no matter whom it is) crashing in the middle, and you can't even have multiplayer matches with more than 6 players without serious issues such as frequent resyncs and disconnections. Unless Firaxis gets its act together, I likely will be skipping this one.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Multiplayer was actually introduced in Civilization 3: Play The World, but that's arguing semantics. Honestly, it's not a game I ever plan on playing Multiplayer, but it would be nice to have a streamlined multiplayer experience.

10. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you're right about PTW introducing multiplayer, although multiplayer was pretty rough at that point as well. I like multiplayer because after you've played the game enough the AIs become too predictable and can't be coordinated. It doesn't ruin FFA games, but if you play team games then the AI's individualistic behavior is incongruent with the strategy necessary to win a game. Team games are fun with humans but with AI are just impossible.

For example you can tell a human ally to flank the enemy while you go for you front lines,; you can't order an AI to do that. Another example is if an ally is in a time period where it has access to an special unit you can tell the human ally to build lots of that special unit while you focus on standard units; an AI won't specialize on anything. Even something simple like asking an AI on your team to provide you with an extra luxury resource they have no use for is rejected unless you provide the AI with an equal exchange.

The multiplayer interface opens up a way to avoid the AI's shortcomings. It's a shame it's still unstable after many years.