1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Clarkdale 3.06 GHz Faces a Preview, Series Pricing Surfaces

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no it doesnt. test it yourself, no change - make sure ram speed doesnt change between the tests.

2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this. I believe it has been tested, and it seems to work for me. I feel a substancial difference between 9.0 @ 4GHZ vs 9.5 @ 4GHZ.
    Here shows a Q6600 performing better on synthetic benchmarks with a higher FSB rather than a higher multiplier:
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=261409
    I could find many more, but im bored and lazy...

Meecrob says thanks.
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    This would only be true if your current bus was somehow limiting bandwidth between your system and CPU. This would be the reason people sometimes say older CPU's are limiting the power of their graphics card. This can be true at times, but in general, 99% of the time the increase in multipler is a much better boost in performance.

4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    because the ram went up at the same time, le duh.

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I believe this statement is a relic from pre-QPI days, where increacing the FSB would increace the speed of the link of the processor with the rest of the system.. espically if the proessor didn't have a lot of cache (looking at you, Dual-Core Celeron)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I say this based upon the highly experienced extreme overclockers that said so after testing it on XS in the MSI 790FX-GD70 thread, which is an AM3 mobo, not something that is suffering limited FSB such as the pre-QPI Intels.

In time I'll check it myself, I'm planning on finding a stable stock volt OCs, one FSB based, one Multiplier based. It'll take me quite a while, but I'll be sure to let you guys know if I've confirmed it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    on intel its easy enough.

333*9
    400x7.5

(assuming its a 45nm chip)

You'll notice sweet F all difference, assuming you used the ram at the same values (EG, 800MHz on both)

Some AMD chipsets may be different, i dont know - but in every case i've seen people saying things were faster, the ram was always clocked higher as well.

Scrizz says thanks.