1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Clarkdale IGP Detailed, Tested

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 19, 2009.

1. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Quite right, the CPUs were not dedicated accelerators. That is where the term "accelerator" came from. Graphics USED to be done by the CPU, then they designed accelerators due to so much CPU time being used to create and shift things like windows and dialogs around the screen... requiring vast amounts of memory to be moved.

However, CPUs started developing special instructions for shift large blocks of memory around with just one instruction. There is a blurry line between some CPU instructions and GPU instructions. Only recently with 3D and shaders has that difference become more distinct. Point being: Sticking a GPU onto a CPU die is NOTHING MORE CLEVER OR ORIGINAL than sticking x87 (maths and SSE) onto the same die as the CPU.

Next up; GPU is a CPU (CUDA)

Next up; Larrabee

Next up; CPU less computers (x86 Larrabee based PCs)

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Those were the days.. I totally agree with you, but it was cool back then and it's cool now.

I wonder when we get processors with a built in TPU's? ;)

3. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    Add to that, that Intel marketing dont even know their own product in the pic you quote they mention QPI where as in the slide right below it it shows DMI, QPI's i7 exclusive afaik.

4. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Behemoth gpu? Low end nVidia/ATI to me is 9400 gs/gt or 4350/4550. Hardly behemoth and Clarkdales have HT, so a low end quad without ht would probably run similar temps/voltages.