1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Class Action Lawsuit launched against Microsoft

Discussion in 'Games' started by KainXS, Nov 19, 2009.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Abington IP is urging all banned Xbox 360 users to contact them because a breach of contract microsoft may have done banning xbox 360's but most importantly, disabling features on them, without customers knowledge after voiding the consoles warranties.

To me it seems Abington IP sees this as a chance to cash in and it may be with banned Xbox 360's being in the numbers of almost 1 million now, I'm no lawyer but if MS didn't disable features on them they would be in the green but they dicked around now they might be f@cked, but all in all, I see it as a chance of Abington to cash in.

Its really messed up this situation is, by modifying the 360's their warranties are gone, but did MS really break the law by disabling features that had nothing to do with LIVE, I don't know.

http://www.abingtonlaw.com/Xbox-Live-class-action.html

I don't know how this will turn out but I well . . . . . . don know what to say because I want MS to win but at the same time I don't because what they did was a little childish . . . . and dey broke ma datel memory card.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has their EULA to fall back on.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    As well they should. I hope Microsoft flips this on them and starts questioning where they got the bootleg software from.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Why are modders/bootleggers so dumb? They need to understand that Microsoft bans modding probably because it reduces support costs (people messing up the console by modding it), and prevents pirating to an extent.

If video card manufacturers didn't deem their warranties void by overclocking or modifying the card, people would probably be sending in heavily modded cards with wires and variable resistors soldered all over the place that they broke, to then be replaced for free.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    agreed. There was a good reason they got banned in the first place. I have a few of my friends that did nothing illegal and got banned, but microsoft refuses to help them, so they are just out of luck. That should be changed, you should be able to appeal your case if you are innocent.
  7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    If I were microsoft I wouldn't ban consoles, I would break them so those people would have to buy new consoles, and more money for me, but thats me.
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    lol make an intelligent VRM controller or power brick that when you do something illegal, it overvolts the console and causes it to self-destruct. :roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    So you are saying that since they have data that points to your friends doing something that violates the TOS agreement they have, the serial number of the console, the IP, time, date, and other information. MS is completely wrong to ban those they find cheating, stealing, harassing, and otherwise making the game experience they are selling to paying valued customers a poor one?

I disagree, I play a bit with friends who have Live, and the experience is poor at best compared to the PC. Too many kids playing games and talking trash, screaming and yelling making the game impossible to play.

Halo for the PC died when the cheating got to far out of hand.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    They probably don't have much of a case..

But IMHO, Microsoft and their Xbox is a big ripoff anyways, let alone LIVE and big brother tactics and extremely poor QC.

Eula's don't mean a whole lot either.. Many cases have been successfully won around those agreements, especially outside of the USA.
    For instance, if I buy Windows and don't agree to the Eula I can't use it right, well now being it's opened I can't return it either.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya QA wasnt there for the XB development, thats why several failed, only thing good that came out of the XB was the Controller. PS3 on the other hand looks like it has better looking graphics, hardware has less faults, only thing i dont care for is the controller.
  12. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    obviously you didn't even read my post. Please do before quoting me. I just said "innocent Xbox owners should go free" there, thats not as much for you to read.
    Again, obviously, it might be difficult, but by not doing so, it is screwing the users.
  13. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    This ability for MS to do this kinda stuff is one of many reasons I don't play games on consoles online. If the delivery plateform (my rig) and the online server I play on are separate, this can't happen. I have been and will be again banned from a server or three. I just move on to the next and don't go back. When MS owns both, they can do stuff like ban you from online play in multiple games. That is crap.
  14. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course you can. The EULA usually states that if you do not agree with it, that you should return it to the place of purchase for a refund. The store will most likely say that they have a policy that they cannot refund opened software, however, the store is obligated to abide by the rules set forth in the EULA (which they too agree to when agreeing to sell the software).

If a store employee says no, demand to see a manager, and keep going up the line until you get someone who actually knows what actually is the store's responsibility. They hate to admit it (due to the potential of piracy), but they have to refund your money.
  15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I second that, I didn't know about that specifically, but usually when you get to the first line manager, they have to refund it. Games that have a CD key probably have to be sent back to the company, and it is probably a hassle for them.
  16. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That's good, but what if you are banned from Live. Do I just return all my primarily or exclusively online games? For some people that would mean they should just return the system.
  17. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry for US citisens :laugh: ,there is law against this crap at free world :D .Joking aside eula means not much at alot of countries