1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Classic review: Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, Nov 14, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I was nosing around the bit-tech website, when I came across this classic review of Half-Life 2 as one of the little side links.

Well, it's such a timeless, awesome game which I've actually completed three times, that I thought I'd share it here. Note the references to AGP cards. This so takes me back...

[​IMG]

bit-tech.net

EDIT: Thanks to Spaceman Spiff below, for the awesome YouTube video showing off http://cinematicmod.com

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I forgot how fugly ATI CCC was back then lol. Still a great game to dust off and play through, expecially since it has achievements after being ported to Mac in May 2010.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it ran well back then, but is now oh-so-smooth on today's hardware. :D

4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Love the game. I always wished they made a high detail mod or re-released the game for new hardware. It had a photorealistic feel even with the graphics limitations at the time. I still have it installed. I was just serving a dedicated HL2DM (on a dedicated PC) recently until it broke for some reason I can't figure out. I love looking back at games and vintage hardware just so I don't forget how far we've come.

5. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    ^ Have you not tried the Cinematic Mod from Fakefactory? It adds very nice music to the game as well, a lot of Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson Williams scores.

Make sure to watch in HD! ;)

[yt]H1VBGIz-v-o[/yt]

[yt]uTVh4C-k-48[/yt]

I believe version 11 should be out before christmas.

Edit: Whoops! Version 11 is already out!! Awesome. Looks like Ill be playing HL2 again over xmas!!

Lazzer408, t77snapshot and qubit say thanks.
  6. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I definitely loved the series. I'm still holding out hope that Half-Life 3 will make a showing some time soon, or at least before Gordon has to exchange his crobar for a cane.

Best,

Liquid Cool

7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Awesome video. :rockout: Brilliantly, professionally done with great music. OP updated.

http://cinematicmod.com/

8. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Haha wow, this is so sweeeet! Thanks for sharing qubit :D

LOL. 6 Series?? I can't believe HL2 is now that old.. I'm gett'in old.:shadedshu

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I'll have to go check it out. Give me a reason to play it again, as if I needed a reason.

This is one of those games that with good direction, great actors, and minimal CG, would make a great movie. You have experiments gone wrong, alien invasion, a hero, and large landscapes.

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Half-Life 2 is probably in my top five for favorites. I played through it like 3-4 times in the first couple months I owned it. It holds up VERY well too. I remember building my first computer just so HL2 would run better xD