1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cleaned HSF, now PC won't boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sai-, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I decided to clean my computer and after doing the GPU heatsink, I did the CPU as well. It's a e6750 with a stock heatsink. The heatsink is a pain to take off and two of the clear push pins broke. I reapplied AS5 in both cases and now the computer won't boot up. The fans and lights come on for a fraction of a second and turn off.

I noticed something weird, if I unplug the 4 pin ATX, everything comes on, including the CPU fan. I think maybe the heatsink isn't being put on right, with the plastic feet broken and all. I bought an Arctic Freezer 7 pro that should be here tomorrow. My question is, if that doesn't fix it, could it be that my motherboard or the CPU is screwed?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Two broken push pins = insufficient mounting pressure = CPU is overheating and overheating protection is kicking in keeping your computer from booting. No fix, good luck with the new cooler once you get it.

3. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a thermal shutdown to me. If the clips are broken then the heatsink sure isnt clamped on there right. Id wait and see about that Af7

Edit: You beat me to it Erocker!

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Those board are kind of finicky, but once you get them running good they scream at least in my experiences. Missing pins on the cooler is a BAD thing, you need to take care of that asap. Did you use a lot of AS5? It's very conductive so if any got into the CPU socket that can be a really bad deal.

I would clear cmos (see owners manual, you need a screw driver to short 2 pins), try one stick of ram, but first and foremost replace that busted cooler.

5. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whoa, thanks for the fast reply guys.

so I'll wait for the heatsink. I followed the directions from Arctic, but it was a pretty big blob from stock, but I don't think it actually went into the socket. Is the Freezer 7 easier to install? I remember installing the cpu and heatsink outside the case on the first build because it was such a pain to get it right.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yes the Freezer 7 is easier to install, but the pins still need some pressure to seat right. I've never broken any plastic pins, but I've come close on stock heat sinks. Just be patient and you'll have it seated in no time. Plus the Freezer 7 Pro comes with AC MX-2 pre-applied, which I prefer over AS5, it cools just as well (in my experience) and has a life of around 7 years iirc, plus it's non-conductive, so too much doesn't mean fried system. So install it, keep the fan and fins clean and enjoy. :D

7. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeh I have the same cooler on my q9650 and it does just fine. Unless you wanna OC then its marginal. But i did find it easier than the stock hsf to install. Keep us posted!

8. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same problem right now. I also took off the stock lga 775 cooler and one of the push pins broke. I reapplied some thermal compound. My problem is that after maybe 10 secs my computer just turns off. I can manage to got to the bios before it turns off and i can see temps rise from 40 to 70 and then, *POOF*. Do i need a new cooler?

9. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely the same deal, but in my case, I can't even get it to get to bios. Probably some kind of motherboard protection kicks in.

10. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can get to the bios to peek at the temps. I can see my temps rocket from 40 to 70 in around 5 seconds o_O. My mobo has a built in overheat protection even though i disable the overheat auto shut down in the bios. I think i'll get the coolermaster hyper 212 plus. What do you think?

EDIT: any busted pins means i should get a new cooler?

11. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    yes

12. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    the hyper 212+ appears to be a great cooler, I should've done more research before buying the Freezer 7.

13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Freezer 7 has all ways been a good cooler, but in this day and age, there is a lot more coolers that do better.. The good old debates we had here with the freezer 7 being better then anything coming out.. Now it's the NH-14 or something Noc is coming out with.. lol

But, I am agreeing with you that the Hyper 212+ is a great cooler. tweaktown says so.. :roll:

14. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    You both need new coolers for sure.
    If you dont want to lose the pushpins then the Arctic cooling solution is alright as long as large oc's arent planned.
    The cooler master hyper 212 looks like it has a backplate requiring removal of the mobo to install, unless you have acut out in the tray. Personally i think its worth it, more secure, and once its done the first time easier to install and remove. Besides the 212 has a 120mm fan and the freezer (i believe) is 92mm. And smaller. My freezer has a 92mm fan anyway..

15. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reporting back

So I installed the new cooler without any issues and tried it again. Still no go, it's the same thing, fans/led come on for a fraction of a second and shut down. Without the 4pin cpu power plugged in, the computer seems to come on, fans running. Could it be the power supply? Or maybe the motherboard?

16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like it's still overheating. Unplug the 4pin CPU plug and the CPU gets no power so it cannot overheat. Make sure the cooler is mounted correctly and that you used thermal paste. Check the CPU socket to see if any paste got in there too.

17. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    My moneys on the mobo. Either its held some charge and hasnt fully drained and youve gone poking around and caused a short somwhere.

I would remove the HSF and cpu too and check the cpu pins on the board they should all be set level and true to each other, a bent pin or broken pin will stand out a mile.

18. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    If what erocker said doesn't work try a different PSU , Sounds like you may have shorted the PSU out and it is now no good .

19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    If the PSU was no good or shorted out it wouldn't power on with the 4 pin disconnected.

20. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    tip.

always turn off the pc by the psu switch then power on the pc to drain all exsisting power before you go poking around inside.

I think its the mobo seen it many times before fans spin no bleep then shuts down.

If you aint getting bleeps the mobo aint working.

21. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Not to say you are wrong erocker but I have had this very same thing happen to me and it turned out to be the PSU and there is nothing wrong with giving it a try any way what does the OP have to loose ? I mean if it works then cool and if not them the CPU or MB is the next thing to check right ?

22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Money on a new PSU.

It is sounding to me like the OP has limited experience with this and it definitely sounds like a CPU overheating issue due to cooling.

23. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes I agree but if this doesn't work that would be the next thing I tried . Yes money unless he has an extra one or some one that he knows with an extra one .

24. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i had something like this happen to me once what it was was a wire from the psu went under the mobo and got pinched in one of the standoffs kinda weird.

25. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    The heatsink is on correctly, I've never taken out the CPU out from the socket, but I guess I'll do that next. And assemble the whole thing on a table to see if there's something shorting out the mobo