1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cleaned HSF, now PC won't boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sai-, Mar 10, 2011.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Good idea . but be careful !

2. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Well the 4pin is is usually the 3.3v and the 5v feed and supply higher ampage for components like CPU, RAM, chipset, PCI, AGP.

The 5pin 12v rails are lower ampage and only mainly power fans, cdrom drives,fdd.

So it figures that the fans will spin with the 4 pin unplugged as its not powering up major components.

It could be the power supply but my moneys still on the mobo im pretty shure you'd still here bleeps even for overheating issue.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I think I might have to just buy a new AMD mobo/cpu combo. Those things are super cheap now

4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Next time use caned air to clean the thing :eek:

5. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess its better to have it running warm and loud than not having it running at all :p
    I'll be sure to remember that for next time.

I messed around with it more today, taking it out of the case and connecting only the cpu, video card and 1 stick of memory. Same result. Looking at the mobo, there is no bulging or anything that I can imagine would indicate damage. At this point, I pretty much give up.

The X2 555 seems like a decent processor right now for under $100, so I'll go with that. Can any of you guys recommend me a good motherboard to go with it? Preferably under $100 too. The open box deals on Newegg seem nice, I'm not sure how they would play with this Xonar DX + 4850 though. Any help is appreciated :)

6. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Chances are one of the very small diodes has gone or one of the chips has sufferd static damage. You could go over the whole board with a multimeter testing the diodes but this would be very time consuming and you arent guaranteed to find the fault.

Goodluck with the next board :)

P.S. Remember in future turn OFF the power supply, power on the pc to disscharge any remaning power, As The parts in the PSU can hold charge for a while and still send a small amount of power to the mobo, This is how the damage usually occurs.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    sai- says thanks.
  7. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update: I bought a Phenom II X2 555 BE along with a decent ASUS board + DDR3 Kingston HyperX ram (never heard of them before) and happy to report that everything is smooth.

It must have been either the motherboard or the CPU, I'm wagering on the mobo. Guess I'll have to sell the 2 ram sticks and whatever else is salvageable.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who helped me!

8. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it running again!

sai- says thanks.
  9. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    try booting the computer without any ram and see if it does a memory error beep.

10. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    glad your up and running again. test the old cpu see if its still good if so sell it with old ram on tpu or craigslist.