1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cleaning the transparent plastic printed circuits inside a keyboard?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Black Panther, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick question: is it ok to use water and leave them to dry thoroughly?

The wrist support of my keyboard got discolored with use, and I'm spraying that part.

But in the meantime, I found an old ugly beige keyboard and thought why not spray that as well while I'm on the job :)

It was hideous inside, full of fluff and crumbs and mold (been stored unused for ~ 10 years!). So I dismantled it, removed the lead and PCB, popped out all the keys, cleaned all the plastic bits in detergent and water, keys included.

My final difficulty is with what shall I wipe those flimsy transparent printed circuits...

2. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Nah.
    I did it like 3 times and it all ended up in keyboard malfunctioning partially or even fully.
    I think that water leaves certain minerals on the surface and that's what causing it.

Black Panther says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Be careful of the print on some it rubs of really easy. I have a Saitek Eclipse here and it got water in it so i ripped the think apart to dry it out and by just placing the cloth on the print started to rub it of.

I been meaning to pick up some silver paint for it but Meh.

Clean the rest but watch out with the printed circuit.

Black Panther says thanks.
  4. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Gee, thanks! I never assumed it was so delicate. Guess I'll leave it as it is since it's not particularly dirty. Anyway the keyboard worked when I tested it before dismantling.

5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    How much was the keyboard? I recently washed mine with tap water, no dismantling involved though. I just poured water on the keyboard and let it spread, then let the water drip, and repeat it about six times or so.

6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Bah, I don't remember. It's been standing there for years and I'm painting it just for kicks.

And only because it's got a PS/2 connector. I've got a couple more they've got DIN connectors (like PS/2 but bigger), won't fit on any modern mobos obviously :laugh:

7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    lol an old keyboard.

8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Some have said that they throw their keyboards in the dishwasher to clean them... I haven't tried it myself so I have no idea if or how well it works.

In your case since you have it apart you can try to spray it with distilled water in a spray bottle (no residue) to clean out any remaining debris then blow it out with air and as a final step you can put the parts in an enclosed container with rice for about 8-12 hrs. The rice will act as a dessicant and pull any residual moisture out of the parts.

Rice works great with wet cell phones too :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 for that. works great

Norton says thanks.
  10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You put keyboards inside people??? :eek:

11. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I cleaned one of my keyboards with my pressure washer (far enough away so it didn't blow off the keycaps), let it dry for a few days and it worked fine.
    I've also let them soak in soapy water in the tub and then rinse them thoroughly with no ill effects.
    Just make sure the batteries are out if it's a wireless keyboard.

I never tried in the dishwasher. I always assumed the heated drying cycle would cause warpage issues.

I've also destroyed keyboards with a high pressure air line, but that's a whole differnt issue. lol

12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    welcome to the 2000s.

a diswasher is a machine. not someone who washes dishes :p

and i think only mechanical keyboards would survive a dishwasher.

i used to use alcohol.

but its rare that they get dirty since they are in a sealed compartment. i do pop off the keys and clean the plastic with soapy water and a toothbrush!

13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I spilled a glass of wine across my old elcipse II and washed it with distilled water; let it dry and worked fine afterwards.

14. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    You just let it dry without taking it apart?

The old beige keyboard I mentioned in the OP had been one we used at work. One day we got a roof mishap and drop by drop the keyboard got flooded. It didn't work so I bought some other cheap keyboard instead.

It's been some years drying up now :laugh: but upon checking it before the paint-job it worked! And hopefully now looks more decent :)

[​IMG]

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    WOW, i only tipped water on mine and all the silver print just started to rub off.

Think the key ( HA ) to this is to not rub it but to me it sounded like Black Panther was on about trying, sure might be able to get away with it with a old keyboard but be careful and not try it with newer ones and let it dry.

Then again a friend got cola on his that did not even need rubbing it just took the print right of it.

16. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I've put rubber dome keyboards thru a dish washer before, works fine. :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    what a coincidence, i just clean the plastic thing for my Logitech MK260 using only clean water and dry it with clean cloth..now my A and F1 char give me problem, must click it several times before they work. :(

Crunching for Team TPU