1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sanhime, May 8, 2012.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually visiting the manufacturers site of the drive will produce a software for their drives.

like Seatools is for Seagate, and WD has a version of Acronis.;)
    Standalone, I think its Acronis Easy Migrate (or is it Migrate Easy) that will clone one to the other.
    Sanhime says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  4. TSX420J

TSX420J

Thanks Received:
    In the search on the start menu type backup. There will be one option that says "backup computer" click on it. Then on the left you can click on create system image. That will make a clone of your current state of your hdd. I use it all the time. You will need another hdd to save the image. Then you can write the image to any hdd and have everything the way it was when you made the image. It's a nice feature in 7.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    As an Administrator who has used Windows servers (and hated them I might add,) I would never rely on Windows backup.

If you want a *complete* backup, I would use an Ubuntu live CD and use dd to copy the drive to an image then use something like zip or tar/gzip to compress it. I searched google real quick, maybe something like this is what you're looking for? Honestly, this is what I would do.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19446/make-a-drive-image-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/
  6. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Hello, Migrating a 1TB Hard Drive to a 2TB HDD is very possible.

My Rig started out on just 160GB, when I upgraded HDDs, I cloned my 160 GB into a newly bought 500GB HDD. (it was an OS HDD)

Then on the next HDD upgrade(I bought a 1 TB) I cloned that 500GB to a 1 TB HDD.

No problems at all.

From what I can remember the program I used was Acronis?? I forgot. But it ran the cloning process outside of windows. the cloning took like 30 to 1 hr. then I switched drive letters and the newly bought HDD is now my boot device.
  7. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    If you install either Acronis True Image WD Edition or Seagate's Discwizard but one of the drives being imaged has to be in the loop of the drives your imaging or imaging to. You can either do the clone through windows or make a bootable disc and run the clone off the disc.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    As mentioned, if you have two HDDs of the same brand, the company will have supporting cloning software for them for free.

Otherwise you are looking at payware Acronis True Image Home or Norton Ghost.

The other option is to make a windows easy backup, install windows on to the new HDD and then transfer using the easy backup wizard.
  9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I like how everyone is ignoring the linux option. Since Linux already has all the tools to do what you want it to do and there a number of LiveCDs and you don't have to pay a thing for it. Also it gets you better at *nix and bash, so the only con to doing it this way is that you have to learn something or follow some instructions.

Honestly, if you want something done correctly, you do it yourself.
  11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I've used Clonezilla (live CD) and it's great as long as you know exactly what you are doing. Recently moved my dad's Windows 7 install from a 36GB Raptor to a 250GB Seagate, then went in Windows and expanded the partition to the full 250GB.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have always used Acronis ( WD's version ) and it's yet to fail me and it's easy to use as well.