1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloning from HDD to mSATA SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Yellow&Nerdy?, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    So I've just bought a laptop which has an available mSATA-slot, and I plan on installing a Crucial M500 240 GB mSSD in the laptop. With how Windows keys on laptops work nowadays, I'm planning on just cloning the HDD over to the mSSD with Acronis True Image 2014. But I've heard of people experiencing problems with partitions not being aligned and that causing the SSD to get a huge hit on performance. So I just wanted to ask if this is something that the software I plan on using accounts for, and if someone has done a similar upgrade and has some useful tips to share?

2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    If cloning from MBR to GPT, is dangerous, it is not sector to sector.

I finally used one of the less known freewares to convert from MBR to GPT but I did not clone. I could search it's name, as I can't remember now.

3. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    So as long as both drives are either GPT or MBR I should be good?

Actually forgot to mention that the default drive is a SSHD. Does that further complicate things?

4. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
  5. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Is this method better than other ways of going about cloning your drive? Because otherwise it looks rather complicated, and I'd prefer something a bit simpler, like just using a data migration software.

6. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Lookie what i found (Google FTW):

Migration Guide:
    http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/support/documentation/ATIH2014/index.html#21824.html

Yellow&Nerdy? says thanks.
  7. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I've used a few Cloning programs trying to do mechanical HDD to SSD and not once has it ever worked correctly. Let us know your end results and good luck.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll try the migration using backup and recovery method first, described here: http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/support/documentation/ATIH2014/index.html#21826.html, since so many people have had problems just outright cloning the drive. My mSSD arrives on Wednesday, so I'll post an update about how it went when I'm done.

10. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    So I used the method described by Acronis. Here are my results from CrystalDiskMark with 1000MB:

Seq read: 463.8 MB/s, Seq write: 273.5 MB/s
    Random 512K read: 415.9 MB/s, Random 512K write: 272.1
    Random 4K read: 21.77 MB/s, Random 4K write: 79.96 MB/s
    Random 4K read (QD=32): 283.5 MB/s, Random 4K write (QD=32): 262.6 MB/s

Mostly fine it seems, only the random 4K seems sluggish. Any idea why?

11. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it's not fine at all, and I really need help. So after migration, I booted from the SSD, and noticed that it said Windows is not activated. I thought this may be because there are essentially two copies of the same Windows, so I did a quick format on the default SSHD. Well, should not have done that, because now it won't boot at all, and I'm currently resetting the whole damn thing, which will take hours. Any idea what went wrong? Maybe it's because I'm migrating from a SSHD to a SSD?

12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    you booted windows off of 2 different drives right after one another and flagged your key thats bound to hardware IDs what dont you understand? 95% of the people in this forums have gone through that.

13. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    So I'm boned? Is there anything that can be done? Also, that doesn't really explain it not booting after the quick format.

14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
  15. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    I'm doing a reset via startup repair right now, leaving it overnight. Actually, before formatting and screwing it up, I went back and booted from the default SSHD, and it did reactivate. Don't know what conclusions can be drawn from that.

16. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to mention, I did migrate all partitions. So it's done resetting, and I can now boot normally. My plan is to wipe the mSATA SSD, and try to figure out what went wrong the first time.

17. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I wiped the drive and cloned using EaseUS Todo Backup. Results from CrystalDiskMark are about the same, and it now says that Windows is valid as well.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014