1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Closed-Loop Water Coolers

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Xenturion, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Greetings, gentlemen. I wanted to pick some minds about Closed-Loop Water Coolers and their long-term longevity. I've got an Antec Kuhler 620 in both my brother's BitFenix Prodigy and my NZXT H2. Performance-wise, they're doing great. Being that Asetek and CoolIT are the OEM's for many prepackaged coolers, I'm curious as to people's experience with them.

Coolant:
    Now, I know they're technically "closed" systems, but in the real world, things tend to escape so-called "closed" systems. Assuming I don't wind up puncturing the tubing, can anyone imagine a long-term problem developing, or will the loss of coolant be so minute that even after a few years it'll still be effective?

Pump:
    I think I remember reading somewhere that we can expect about 3 or so years on average of functionality before the pumps may begin to fail. Does anyone have any extended experience using these or maybe better yet, horror stories to share?

I see a lot of these types of coolers used in various builds and project logs so it's clear they're fairly well accepted. I know, realistically, if these coolers had any major, endemic faults, we would've heard something by now. I always keep an eye on temperatures just to be on the safe side. I'm really curious what people who've had them running a year or more have to report.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Warranty's on the new units can be up to 5 years long. That being said, the manufacturers expect that sort of a timeline until some sort of failure.
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    There isn't much difference really apart from the tubing length. Antec coolers have much longer tubes compared to lets say Corsair coolers (11cm longer tubes actually) which is a lot if you need the length. I did, so Antec was the only option really. Though there are ppl who would like even shorter tubes than the ones on Corsair Hydro's...
  4. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    There are pretty evident differences between various models.

IIRC the Antec models were version 2 AIOs. The new systems from Corsair and Thermaltake are version 3 head units, along with the newer ones like NZXT.

As the years progressed they have gone from less than air cooling performance, to even with top air cooling, to now actually pulling ahead with the third version.
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I have the old Antec H2O 920 and its already million times better than the Thermalright AXP-140 which was already far from a bad low profile cooler. But overclocking made its job and it simply wasn't up to the task. Antec 920 can keep 4,2GHz Core i7 920 below 80°C with custom Noiseblocker fans at lowest speed (tested with AgentGod's IntelBurnTest using 20 passes and High memory setting). In normal conditions, it never goes past 65°C (like while playing Skyrim for hours). Meaning it's pretty much dead silent, yet it can keep heavily overclocked CPU properly cooled. I don't think i could achieve this even with the most high end tower coolers, not without setting fans to ridiculous (loud) speeds. At least not in my small case that is.

Sure it's better to have the latest gen coolers but then again old generations seem to do their job just as good.
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    OP mentions a 620, or the thin rad version. The dual thickness rads were some 5 degrees better than the thin ones. you are comparing apples to oranges really, as his 620 isn't going to keep your chip that cool;) Also you changed the fans, the OP appears to be running the stock fans.
  7. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Oh, nice. Good to see I'm not the only one still holding on to their X58 platform. I'm not too concerned with the performance of the units. In my case, I switched the cooler on my i7-920 @ 3.5 from a Cooler Master V8 to the Kuhler 620 and am getting similar numbers. I've got a relatively low airflow case (NZXT H2) and using the water cooler gets heat from the CPU straight out of the case, where as the tower cooler, although more substantial, was recirculating the air and more vulnerable to hot air from my 2 GTX 480s that escapes the side of the shroud near the expansion slots.

I replaced the Antec Kuhler included fan with a PUREX brand fan from Micro Center. It was cheap ($8), my Micro Center was out of the Corsair high static pressure fans, and no other fans there offered a decent pressure rating. It advertises 32dBa, 72 CFM, and 2.1mm-H2O. Can't really verify those but the thing moves air through the rad a lot better than the NZXT Case Fan, Aerocool Shark, Antec TriCool, and the included fan. I've got a push pull setup on my brother's using the 2 BitFenix 120mm that came pre installed in the Prodigy.