• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloud Computing and privacy concern

Hale88

To all my tech. friends:

I am writing a research paper about Cloud Computing and the security issues and I have a question to you all, so what do you think is the most privacy concern on Cloud Security? All I can think up right now is the data information that storage on cloud but I know there will be something else too but I can't think up any.

thank you!

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
if it has any applications where you have to put in a password or pin to something, and it's vulnerable,- there goes your pw/pin.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
To all my tech. friends:

I am writing a research paper about Cloud Computing and the security issues and I have a question to you all, so what do you think is the most privacy concern on Cloud Security? All I can think up right now is the data information that storage on cloud but I know there will be something else too but I can't think up any.

thank you!

Yes that one is data location where the user potentially won't know where the actual data he owns is being stored. The main one I can think up of though is the long term implications of cloud computing which refers to the lifespan of the service providers, it would be better to focus on what will happen to the availability of your data etc. when the sh*t hits the fan eg. bigger companies eating each other although I doubt any of the providers will actually go broke even then you can also consider that for your paper but its not likely to happen.

System Name Everyday driver
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard Asrock 870 Extreme3
Cooling Xigmatek Prime SD1484
Memory 4x GSkill 4GB DDR3 1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 245BW 1920x1200
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair TX-850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1

Hale88

@ digibucc: that is one good key point. Our password maybe happen to be on the internet and we're not even know.
@random: totally agree, if the cloud collapses, then our data will also lost. Seeking out dedicated servers is a alternative way.
@Ron732: thanks for short input, and yes Google is my friend since I got to know about computer & technology :)

Last edited:
System Name Everyday driver
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard Asrock 870 Extreme3
Cooling Xigmatek Prime SD1484
Memory 4x GSkill 4GB DDR3 1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 245BW 1920x1200
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair TX-850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
@Hale88 I apologize if I sounded like a butthead I didn't mean to be a jerk. I always head to Google when I need a place to start on a new task. Have you looked at the Cloud Security Alliance website? On this page there is a pdf file titled "Security Guidance for Critical Areas of Cloud Computing". It might help you come up with some issues to discuss in you paper. Hope this helps.

Hale88

I am absolutely not hating anyone. This is an open thread which everyone can join and learn new thing. about the link above, I have been in there couple times and yes it's useful. thanks for the link though.

T

twilyth

cloud computing can be as secure as you want it to be. You can download your data to a local source for example. Even if you have terabytes of data, a 2T drive on sale now is around $60, $80 regular street price.

The only potential problem there is when you have cloud apps that have no terrestrial equivalent. Then you'll also need to be able to convert your data.

If you store the data in encrypted form and access it via VPN, it's virtually as secure as being on your local machine - at least until quantum computing comes along - then we're all screwed since things like public key cryptography will become history.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
These are my thoughts relating to "security"

+ is the data really secure from 3rd parties hacking
+ can 3rd parties snoop your access to the data
+ what happens if something falls over... you are not in control of the recovery exercise
+ where is your data?
+ is "externalising" your data legal? and what about rules in different countries
+ how do you deal with ringfencing data and INTERNAL security/access policies
+ what happens if an internal persons sabotages your data, how do you know, where are the backups
+ can a 3rd party duplicate and make copies of your data
+ technology failure
+ human failure
+ supplier relationship failure
+ liability risk, who is responsible for loss of data from a business sense and any consequential losses or liabilities
+ who owns the data? if you want to leave said cloud provider can you guarantee timely access to your data
+ what if contracts are breached, how is recovery dealt with, can you be held to ransom or through breach, lose your data?
+ take-overs
+ legal powers of 3rd parties and gvts to access the data

I hope you understand the brief descriptions. if you need them explaining, ask away

T

twilyth

I think a lot of those issues also apply to a situation where you have your own off-site data center. He should probably focus on issues that are unique to cloud computing.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I disagree with saying they are the same as "own data centre" but would agree that they are similar to "outsourced data centre". The degree to which these issues can be controlled or managed and the methods of control and management may have different levels of emphasis or concern or catastrophy. And these differences DO fall into the debate.

Answers might also depend on industry, sensitivity of data, country, compliance, etc.

Hale88

thanks for all the ideas and opinion guys. I am looking forward to them