• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloud Computing Games?

drdaver

System Name Davey Jr.
Processor e6300@3.2
Motherboard abit ab9 pro
Cooling 8x 80mm thermaltake fans with controller, zalman 9500, accelero
Memory 4gb geil
Video Card(s) getting 4870 x2s
Storage 4 wd 640 se16
Display(s) samsung and sceptre 24 lcds
Case thermaltake xaser iii
Audio Device(s) sound blaster x-fi platinum
Power Supply antec 1000w
Software xp home sp3
This "storing stuff on your own computer" hype is ridiculous. Imagine millions of people storing millions of copies of the same thing on millions of computers. How ludicrous is that? You don't have your own textiles factory at home that you have to start up every time you want a new shirt.

;)

touche

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
This would totally get rid of that thrill when you first get a new bit of hardware that you want to try out/bench/game with, security will be a key issue and also, anything that is labelled "CLOUD" sounds all a bit too fluffy and hyped up to me.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
This "storing stuff on your own computer" hype is ridiculous. Imagine millions of people storing millions of copies of the same thing on millions of computers. How ludicrous is that? You don't have your own textiles factory at home that you have to start up every time you want a new shirt.

;)

There is a difference see.

I buy clothes and software when I want them. Since software is easily replicated and sent there can be millions of copies with no space taken up. The point behind my metaphor is that when I buy something it should be in my possession.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
There is a difference see.

I buy clothes and software when I want them. Since software is easily replicated and sent there can be millions of copies with no space taken up. The point behind my metaphor is that when I buy something it should be in my possession.

With no space taken up? How do you figure? How do you copy something millions of times without it taking any space?

By the way, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm not necessarily for or against cloud computing. Just pointing out some of the stubbornness and resistance to change around here. If we treated every paradigm shift (that one's for Jizzler) with such resistance, there'd be no computers, no Internet, no multiplayer games at all.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
With no space taken up? How do you figure? How do you copy something millions of times without it taking any space?

By the way, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm not necessarily for or against cloud computing. Just pointing out some of the stubbornness and resistance to change around here. If we treated every paradigm shift (that one's for Jizzler) with such resistance, there'd be no computers, no Internet, no multiplayer games at all.

I know your being devils advocate.

Well since data is either a 1 or a 0. On or off and a hard drive comes with data all set to 0 and to create a program all one has to do is arrage those 1's and 0's in a certain way and the computer follows the instructions.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

Hehehe

I do like change and progress. But in this case I'm hesitant and even if I can't completely explain why, I'm going with my instinct.

Perhaps it's my bleak and cynical view - businesses are never looking out for your best interest - which is why I look to solutions to create my own local "cloud". Unlike past advancements which can be bought and used at your own discretion, this is out of my control.

I admit... I've watched the movie Idiocracy more than 6 times ;)

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
I thought cloud computing (at least for games) was basically video streamed to your PC with small amount of data just sending keyboard and mouse control commands to a server. Hence the "Onlive" system being a tiny little box which you can play really good games on. Or is this a sham? I believe cloud computing could work for consoles who constantly have to battle the upgradability that us PC enthusiasts have options for...

A convo I recently had about it stemmed from the apparent, recent lack of dedicated servers and dodgy LAN play.

(7:50:03 PM) SabreWulf: oh ok maybe not
(7:50:14 PM) SabreWulf: and dedicated servers with terms gay maybe I was wrong about B: BC2 Being THAT good lol
(7:50:42 PM) Raymond: yep, jamie told me he couldnt find lan
(7:51:29 PM) SabreWulf: so not not only do ya need to pay for the game with the fucked up security disc checks slowing your whole experience down, you now need to additionally pay to play online let alone on lan
(7:51:35 PM) Raymond: there trying to make lanning only possible with those who are online and go through a network (ie steam)
(7:52:11 PM) Raymond: its there attempt at stopping piracy, a double edge sword
(7:52:52 PM) SabreWulf: well it sure seems to be working it really is as josh said, and what I believe it to be, the first step towards cloud computing the world is controlled by business and if you wanna get anywhere you have to follow
(7:52:56 PM) Raymond: i'd buy if it had lan but i wont if it doesnt
(7:53:49 PM) Raymond: unfortunately it'll cause reduced sales and possible the end of pc gaming
(7:53:57 PM) SabreWulf: either stay antiquated and stubborn or up to date and obedient
(7:54:26 PM) SabreWulf: and knowing how this sheepish world goes, as individuals we have opinions but as a mass we are controlled
(7:55:59 PM) Raymond: i dont see happening, privacy is too great a risk imo.
(7:56:22 PM) Raymond: i do see the possibility of both existing though
(7:56:54 PM) Raymond: can someone go nick the fags who keep inventing this bullshit
(8:05:04 PM) SabreWulf: no shit hey, privacy may be at too great a risk, but if it goes that way and say they scrap all but expensive server drives, and not even being able to play lan games, then it's actually what an ideal even greedier world would be, it's hella fucked, going the complete opposite way from the startrek notion of dreams, everything is free, and you work to do your part for the things you get to have to also better yourself and your understanding of the world around you
(8:06:41 PM) Raymond: if they didnt make you just through so many hoops to activate a game and also the cost then less would turn to pirating imo, starting prices of $90-130 is just excessive
(8:07:56 PM) SabreWulf: indeed, just cos your good doesn't mean you have to charge a shitload, it means the better you are the less you should charge stop competing, level off and fair should ensue
(8:08:00 PM) SabreWulf: fairness*
(8:13:22 PM) Raymond: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859&type=expert&pid=1 this is been around for a little bit now, games are run on what ill call a super server and u just need a simple pc with internet to play state of the art games
(8:14:28 PM) Raymond: *sigh* stop fucking moulding us, next thing filter thing is in and if cloud computer comes in, i can only imagine the worst

Last edited:
How could centralizing everything be "cloud computing"?

gnutella is cloudy.
DHT is cloudy.
KAD is cloudy.

Centralized server farms are not. Don't let that bullshit IT buzzword fool you.