• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Club3D ATi Radeon 9600 XT Overclocking Problems

Chrysalid

My system:

Club 3D ATi Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB
AMD Duron (Socket A) 1,8 Ghz
MSI KT4A-V (with VIA's chipset, unfortunately)
768 MB of Kingston's DDR400 RAM.
Windows XP SP1.
Newest Catalyst drivers.

Hi, I just registered into this forum because I have some questions regarding my gfx card mentioned in the title. I had been unaware of ATITool until today and I decided to try overclocking my Radeon. ATI Overdrive feature had already overdriven the card's GPU into 526 Mhz and I wanted to pump up the Mhz's from there.

So I went adjusting, carefully keeping an eye on the 9600 XT's built-in temperature sensors. I didn't get even over 50 degrees when the GPU froze and recovered thanks to GPU Recover. I've now tried all kinds of readings between 526 and 575 Mhz and they all seem to crash.

Anyone know if I just have a sucky card for overclocking purposes or am I doing something wrong?

--Chrysalid

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Chrysalid said:
My system:

Club 3D ATi Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB
AMD Duron (Socket A) 1,8 Ghz
MSI KT4A-V (with VIA's chipset, unfortunately)
768 MB of Kingston's DDR400 RAM.
Windows XP SP1.
Newest Catalyst drivers.

Hi, I just registered into this forum because I have some questions regarding my gfx card mentioned in the title. I had been unaware of ATITool until today and I decided to try overclocking my Radeon. ATI Overdrive feature had already overdriven the card's GPU into 526 Mhz and I wanted to pump up the Mhz's from there.

So I went adjusting, carefully keeping an eye on the 9600 XT's built-in temperature sensors. I didn't get even over 50 degrees when the GPU froze and recovered thanks to GPU Recover. I've now tried all kinds of readings between 526 and 575 Mhz and they all seem to crash.

Anyone know if I just have a sucky card for overclocking purposes or am I doing something wrong?

--Chrysalid

All cards clock differently ... did you uncheck Overdrive before running ATITool?

Chrysalid

I did, but I didn't reboot after I unchecked it. Do you think it could be causing a problem?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
The 9600Xt doesn't oc very well ... check out Wazz beginners guide here

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
it could be a software related issue, cause i dont really think its a hardware one... if you havent been getting high temps in the 65+ range i seriously doubt you've done any *real* damage to your card.

if i were you i'd download and isntall SP2 for XP and a whole buncha other updates they got (i'd do it even regardless of the gfx card issues you're having. sp2 has some rather important updates.)

those are my 2 cent on this....