1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

COA and Reselling Computers

Discussion in 'General Software' started by flashstar, Aug 22, 2008.

1. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am planning to sell several Dell Dimension 8200 and 4600 computers with XP Pro COA labels attached to them. Should I just leave the COA labels on the computers and reformat their drives? Can I take off the COAs and reuse them on new computers? I am unfamiliar with the correct process when it comes to reselling computers but I would prefer to be able to reuse the XP installations since I paid for them.

Thanks.
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    With my DELL you cannot activate the lic on a different comp. i tried it and failed lol. And i believe that the lic is only for that comp unless there retail. IF retail versions you are required to remove OS of old comp before installing it on another.

COA lebel thats that MS sticker with key ?.. well that means it's OEM as far as i have seen..
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what type of licences they are.

If they are OEM licences, you can not take them off and reuse them, you would have to leave them on and only use them with that computer.

If they are Retail licenses, then you can take them off and reuse them.

The retail copies come with COA stickers also. It should say right on the sticker what type it is.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    These are the COA's that came with the Dell computers so I assume that they are OEM (I'm not sure why Dell would use Retail keys).

I've heard that you can always just use the telephone activation method with the OEM keys even if you switch computers, but I didn't know if that was true.

Otherwise, do people on the forum usually sell retail copies of XP Pro for around $40? $140 for xp alone is a PITA when the computers that you're building are only worth $250.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can use the telephone activation with OEM keys, if you know what to say to get them to activate it, however using this method to activate an OEM key isn't legal.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    With the newer pre-SP2A OEM COA's it's pretty hard to take the key and use it on another system. Also with Dell's it seems lately about every other OS install we do on a Dell, we have to call M$ to activate it. Also some OEM COA's will not say OEM but will have HP, Compaq, etc where the OEM label is generally located.
    Crunching for Team TPU