1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

COD: Ghosts 720p Upscaled on Xbone but Native 1080P on PS4

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Oct 30, 2013.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    “For the past few days, there’s been a lot of rumours surrounding the maximum resolution that Call of Duty: Ghosts can run on for Xbox One.

Via Twitlonger, Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin has decided to finally confirm the details. On Xbox One, the game is 1080p upscaled from 720p. On the PlayStation 4 however, the game is native 1080p.”
    Ouch, their already resorting to the tricks of the last gen consoles.

http://callofduty.digitalwarfare247...ution-for-ghosts-confirmed-as-1080p-upscaled/
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good thing neither console is released and people can choose the better of the two.
    SaiZo, PLSG08 and hellrazor say thanks.
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    PS4 :rockout:
    SaiZo and WhiteNoise say thanks.
  4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    damn, that's a big advantage for ps4, assuming many games would be that way
    HD64G says thanks.
  5. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    PC. Done.:rolleyes:
    SaiZo, james888, AlienIsGOD and 11 others say thanks.
  6. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Well, let's see how the games runs on each.. I don,t know about the FPS rate on PS4 or xbox one, could that affect the PS4 to be native in 1080P, as the resolution is higher?

;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I heard the rumours but i never really paid attention them as the tech is so similar. I wonder why the xbox is upscaled yet the playstation is nativ? Anyway im not really that concerned. Meh if people are buying one console solely for a slightly higher res in one game i pity them, its what may happen that should affect peoples choice.

EDIT: I also read that some games will have a higher res in single player rather than multiplayer modes, pretty sure both consoles at least the xbox will be able to reduce the res in certain areas to keep a framerate.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    According to the article, both are optimized for 60 FPS.

My guess would be the PS4 used GDDR5 and the Xbone uses DDR3, which gives the PS4 a huge memory bandwidth advantage. And we all know APU's absolutely love fast memory.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    It's a combination of the GDDR5, the PS4s CPU runs at about 15-20% higher clock rate, as well as the GPU in the PS4 has about 30-33% more shader cores. Microsoft is just delivering a weak console with big marketing to make bigger profits than Sony is. Honestly Microsoft is just trying to take a page out of Nintendos book here, who have notoriously run 200+% profit margins for a few generations now.
  10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    the cpu I don't know about I have heard 2 Quad core jaguars at 1.6ghz, 2ghz, 2.7ghz?
    but the ps4 has 32 rops vs the xbox ones 16(thats a big difference) +30% more shading capability soooo yea

I don't think the one is that weak, I think microsoft was probably either just caught off guard or did not want another 360 return rate(WE WILL SEE)

what I don't like is that their will be devs now who just make a xbox one version and just port it straight to ps4(no changes) and defend themselves by saying both consoles are the nearly the same, this is what Shinji Mikami himself has said and their are going to be many others.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  11. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I understand that going from DX9 to DX11 ups the graphical fidelity quite a bit, but you would think that after so much time between console generations that this generation would at least run every single game at 1080p natively. Maybe because it's optimized for 60fps? But at the same time, COD was always optimized for 60fps for 360 and PS3. Not a big COD fan, but this is just sad :shadedshu

^
    What he said....DONE.
  12. dick_cheney

Thanks Received:
    GPU Horsepower

I would think this is more GPU and memory.

Both system have a "custom" 8 Core AMD CPU with 2x 256kb L1 / 2x2mb L2 (1.6ghhz - PS4 / 1.75ghz Xbox), Xbox one has that additional 32MB of ESRAM but more bandwidth wont make up for raw processing power.

They both also use AMD GPU's but PS4 has 1152 shader cores to Xbox's 768 which is a big deal (33%) as well as the PS4 using 8GB of GDDR5 (176 GB/s) to Xbox's DDR3 (68.3 GB/s).
  13. nothappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The nightmare called reality (Jakarta, Indonesia)
    We are missing a very big point! a $100 worth of point! Weak graphics, pricing, and the on and off the net malarkey.

Just buy the one thats bang for your buck and watch the traitors flock form their so called "exclusivity".

Just got the battlefield 4 downloaded, gonna play it the correct way, the "PC" way!:toast:
  14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I guess you have completely missed the fact that all those shitty policies for the xbox one after e3 were reversed in a few weeks time. No more always online, kinect is not required, etc.
    nothappy says thanks.
  15. nothappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The nightmare called reality (Jakarta, Indonesia)
    My words was misleading, sorry, I know they change their policies. I just dont like how we get to know the consoles faults from game makers. I for one never trusted Microsoft, and will never buy their console.

Think about it, we discovered they lied to us with a "Next Generation" console thats using older graphics display capabilities, they ask us a $100 premium for kinect, and then what? It wouldnt be a far strecth for them to take back their words and screw gamers in the end.
  16. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Only decent shooter worth to play on consoles is killzone for ps4.but im not a big fun of shooter on consoles.For me PC is priority if i want to play shooter
  17. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    ps4 have my vote long time ago either im a console player, the only reason i rather buy a console is to play monster hunter if they bring it to new gens, better for PC or fight games like mortal combat or dbz but we already have MK complete edition in PC!!! and now games like Enslaved are been released for pc so was the point, xone 720 at 2013 ? dont blame people microsoft if you dont sale a damn console.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Need I remind you that the best selling console of the last gen also had the least powerful hardware. Microsoft is focusing more on control, like Wii did that made it hugely popular, and less on graphics. Time will tell if it pays off.

I just tried starting DXHRDC using an Xbox 360 controller and the moment I had control over the character my reaction was: "oh god! ABORT! ABORT!" Anyone that plays FPS games on consoles need to have their heads examined. Luckily my situation was on my computer so it was effortless to switch over to keyboard and mouse.

Wii was at least tolerable for FPS. I don't know if Xbone has a solution to the FPS problem but if they do, I'd say the loss in graphics quality is made up for entirely by control.

As others pointed out: if you want the best of all worlds (controller, no controller; high resolution graphics; little to no upscaling; no fiddling around with disks), Windows is the platform for you.

Xbone and PS4 also use different graphic APIs. Xbone is likely easier to program for but PS4 is closer to the hardware so more optimizations can be made. Additionally, PS4 has a more potent GPU than Xbone (18 compute cores versus 12).

Oh, and Xbone has 32 MiB ESRAM to make up for the slowness of DDR3 (192 GB/s theoretical compared to GDDR5 at 172 GB/s)

So...on the graphics front, everything is PS4's favor (except price).
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Just curious how price is not in the PS4's favor when it is priced $100 cheaper than the Xbone? Assuming we are discounting the Wii U of course since Nintendo is becoming more and more irrelevant.
  20. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Sony is taking a fiscal hit ($60 per console) on the PS4 just like they did on the PS3. Microsoft, not so much; Microsoft may be forced to reduce their price though because that $100 difference is going to impede sales.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    fixed :) :roll:
  22. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Ehhh I already had a PS4 pre-ordered so this isn't any news lol
  23. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with that, I'm not buying a ms or sony console day 1 anymore.
  24. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Is this game worth of buying?WOunt it be another copy paste game only with better graphics :p
  25. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Until now "Native resolution" was related to your SCREEN, not to the game or to the computer or console...... or?