1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

COD4 just disappeared off my screen for the 2nd time

Discussion in 'Games' started by Studabaker, May 9, 2009.

1. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone ever had COD4 or any game simply freeze up and disappear without errors or any msg of any sort? I've never had that happen no matter how unstable of an OC or how hot it gets. It just happened to me for the 2nd time. I just went back to the 185 beta drivers thinking that somehow oddly enough the final release 185s might have been causing this. It's just weird how randomly it happens, sometimes it'll take 2 hours of playing sometimes just 40 minutes.
  2. bigtye New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, happens to me in FO3, just closes down and drops to windows xp no dramas. Everything else is fine.

Normally if a game crashes I get "the device has stopped working error" and on xp my graphics is 4 colour and rooted, so needs a reboot. But Fallout 3 will just drop out randomly after 30 inutes to couple of hours.

I suspect a memory leak.

Tye

You can check: control panel/performance and management/administrative tools/event viewer to see what caused it or what in particular went wrong.
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Studabaker says thanks.
  3. Shadow*

Shadow* New Member

Thanks Received:
    well....though some dont admit it fo3 does have quite a few "memory leaks" and cod2 used to do that to me with the black and then closing probably something to do with the driver like you said....when i updated the 185.85 driver yesterday and came on today it wasnt installed....like wtf!!!??? so yea gl :)
    Studabaker says thanks.
  4. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh thanks for reminding me about event viewer, it WAS hidden in there:

Faulting application iw3mp.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4859a219, faulting module nvd3dum.dll, version 8.15.11.8585

For now I've downgraded to older drivers, we'll see how it goes!
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just went through a bout of that with COD WaW kept just dropping off. Sometimes it was after a while 2-3 levels, sometimes 2 minutes. Turned out the board running 500FSB 1:1 with the ram is what my issue was, even though OCCT was spot on for over 10 hours.
  6. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whoa. So I should find another overclock besides one that runs my memory at 800? Maybe go for something slightly lower and aim for a higher CPU bus?
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    just sharing that the COD series is very strenuous as far as games go, just don't rule out the OC entirely. If you can write down or save all your settings. Then go back to stock and see if it still crashes. if it does, you can rule out the OC and start heavily leaning toward the GPU...whether its drivers, directX, or whatever.
  8. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I haven't ruled out the OC, next step if it crashes again will be to do a DriverSweep, then if it happens again I'll just have to start downclocking. Looking at 3.6GHz at 482*7.5, keeping the RAM at 800.
  9. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK before I left tonight I launched Orthos CPU stress and OCCT's GPU test, everything was fine for about 20 minutes, then I don't know what happens, the OCCT log shows CPU core temps rising up to the 80s after about 20 minutes of the combined tests, which is right around the time that Orthos CPU stress lasted until it crashed out. It also said Crysis.exe failed (does OCCT run Crysis for stress testing about 20 minutes into a GPU stress test?)

I'm definitely leaning toward getting a case with much better cooling than mine offers. It would be nice to have the CM690, with the cooling fan sitting under the GPU blowing cold air up to it...
  10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    OCCT has nothing to do with Crysis.exe either you got some really weird software issues, or the PC was just catching up to a previous shutdown.
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No, OCCT uses Furmark for GPU testing. Since Furmark gets throttled by some drivers to reduce heat, the exe is renamed. Tho I've alway seen it as ETQW.exe, not Crysis.

At any rate, don't bother with OCCT for diagnosing a game crash. CoD4 is VERY sensitive to OCs. Mine machine can do 10hrs of OCCT on some OCs, but it will crash every time in CoD4 unless I lower my OC or add voltage.

Do yourself a favor, when investigating a game crashing to desktop, return your clocks back to stock.

Oh, and when the game just disappears like that, it's referred to as "crash to desktop" or CTD. Might help in the future for googling problems.
  12. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I downclocked to 3.6 and OCCT GPU and Orthos CPU ran fine for an hour, though the heat generation did go back up to getting my cores hot as hell near the end and the GPU test did have a few errors on the GPU test but nothing major. I am still concerned about all that heat generated by the GPU, it really roasts up the rest of the system.
  13. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    have you updated DX and your video drivers?
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Clock back to stock and test COD4. OCCT and Orthos testing doesn't help you fix a COD4 crash. If you clock back to stock, and COD4 works fine, your OC is bad, plain and simple. You don't need Orthos and OCCT to tell you that.

Going back to stock is ALWAYS the first step in diagnosing an app crash.
  15. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this thing against stock, I just can't handle it!! :roll:
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately for you, it's the only good way to do it.

And if I can go to stock settings to test a crashing app, anyone can. lol.