1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CODEC PACKS: Do you use them? Which are your favs/best in your estimations & why??

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Alec§taar, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    See my subject-line/title above, & answer the question w/ your thoughts as to WHY some of these prebuilt CODEC packs are better than others, etc.!

Thanks!

:)

* I have a few of them here, but am wondering if I NEED to keep them ALL around, so it is my decision to get some feedback on them... here are the ones I have here now:

codec8.0_nt.exe
    codecs6030_allin1.exe
    klcodec274f.exe
    xcodecpackv2.zip
    xp_codec_pack_2.0.2.zip

(I guess those are the "major ones" you can get from various downloads sites online, & I was wondering if you guys have/had favorites amongst those, & why you chose which one you did over the others)

APK
  2. bbriand New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have always had miss/hit luck with CODEC packs. Usually by the time I find one that works I'm so releived that I forget to make a note of it.

Then 3 months later when I reformat and go to install the CODEC pack again I'm faced with a directory of 10+ packs and I cannot remember which one to use. Currently facing this problem now.

Any advice on this subject would be nice.

Good call Alec.

Bill
  3. TheButcherNL

Thanks Received:
    I always use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, and never have any problems with it. Only I dont install ffdshow, I prefer that AC3 filter manages the sound, much easier.

cya
  4. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    i just use the ace mega codec pack always works for me
  5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep your thoughts/opinions & experiences w/ these coming...

* Thanks guys!

APK
  6. TripTop New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Klite Mega Codec pack, as far as i can see its complete and hasnt given me any problems so far. My moto is if it works dont change it eheh
  7. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Vlc as a player works fine for me. You really only need codec packs, if you want to encode
    videos and even then, the question is, if youre not better off with a single codec, like divx.
  8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks so far for the feedback on this account...

* I have always wondered WHY it is there are SO MANY OF THESE!

(They all should technically be packing in the same files as the others, yet there is such a difference in size involved in their distros... plus, I often have heard these things come packed w/ malware-virus etc., but imo @ least, should be scanned for these things prior to upload to various sites, & the site webmasters ought to test & scan for virus etc. as well)

The technicals of a codec, A QUESTION: These are just somekind of filters, correct, for mediaplayer libs to use when decoding a particular media file format... correct?

(OR, are they .dll libs themselves, that need to be registered via a GUID, like OLEServer DLL's are)

APK

P.S.=> In other words, I need to know/understand the MECHANICS of how these things register themselves into one's system, & how they work, technically... thanks! apk
  9. Cj_Staal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your the one with the best bet of knowing ~_~
  10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, not entirely true:

I am NO "expert" in things "multimedia"...!

(& the "smart person" always asks/researches several sources first imo @ least - nobody knows it all)

* & you have to realize that knowing WHEN & WHO to ask, is key... saves time!

APK

P.S.=> I am going to make a point of determining the answer to that question of mine tonite... but now, it's time for sustenance/nourishment/dinner! apk
  11. Freqhog New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use ace mega codec pack, never let me down yet...