1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

College Laptop/Computer/Tablet

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by MM27, Mar 17, 2012.

1. MM27 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Everyone!

I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and I'm going to be a Computer Science major, in addition to being a Piano Performance major.

Currently, i have an iPad that is given to me until i graduate high school, and i love it. I've built custom PC's before, but currently I'm just using an old Compaq laptop.

I'm debating as to which type of computer I want..
    I will need a desktop for my dorm room, in addition to either a laptop or a tablet for around campus, when i'm home, etc....

I don't know if I should get an iMac or similar Apple desktop for my dorm room, and then a PC laptop to take around, most of my work for computer science will be done in the labs provided to me by the school. I'll also probably have an iPhone...so I'll definitely want some sort of a Mac laptop or computer or tablet...

The other choice is building another custom PC desktop and then purchasing either a new iPad or a MBP/MBAir....

In my dorm room, i'd love to be able to use AfterEffects, Gimp, Photoshop, etc.

Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated, thank you so much!

2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    MM27 says thanks.
  3. MM27 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    get a small macbook or an envy 14 or such and use the rest of the cash on a decent desktop.

Im using a Envy 13 and not regretting it for a second!

Just for an iphone you want a mac?? really? a computer is more flexible, plus you can run Hackintosh VERY VERY easily now days

5. MM27 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll need the best PC i can get for after effects, 3ds max, etc....

I guess i don't really NEED a mac, maybe i won't even get the iphone... it really depends on how well Apple improves the current iphone and also how windows 8 does/android 4.0 updates, etc...

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess you should build it yourself, branded pc usually cost more than you build yourself :toast:

7. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend either an hp envy or a laptop from puget systems. Desktop wise i would say build your own- you'll make a much beter machine for the price. Phone -wise have you considered an android phone? Personally i like(and recommend to nearly everyone) HTC as most of their phones incorperate plenty of aluminum, feel good in the hand, and are well built all around.