1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Combo Jack to single PC audio port

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by lyndonguitar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    My brother is going to buy a Razer Electra headset, but there is a problem with the mic, It uses a combo jack, in which both the mic and the audio are combined in a single jack(three lines). like what iPod and most Phones use. and that he will use it primarily with his Desktop PC, which uses the traditional green,pink,etc jacks.

So how do I know if a certain motherboard, sound card or port supports this combo jack thingy? or the only choice is to buy an adapter? and What's the proper term for this "combo jack"?

his motherboard

and while you're at it, any suggestions for a headset(with a proper mic) at the same price range? he will use it for gaming primarily Battlefield 3, and It needs to have a good Bass.

Other potential choices: Razer Orca, Roccat Kulo, CM Sirus S
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    I would skip Razer products all together and look at steelseries or sennheiser
  3. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    I had experience with both Steel Series and the Razer headsets and imo Razer headsets are better sound-quality wise, and I find SS headsets lacking in bass, however I only judge headsets by listening to music with max Bass. I haven't tested which is more durable or more comfortable at long hours of use.

I've heard only good things about Sennheiser, but only with playing music, I dunno about gaming.
  4. someguyfromhell

someguyfromhell New Member

Thanks Received:
    lyndonguitar and Frick say thanks.
  5. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I have a Razer Carcharias for gaming, quite good IMO. I tried the Electra and didn't liked it, it's not bad, but i prefer the Carcharias BUT with a sound card, without it it has little bass and the Electra might sound better. As for Music i recommend buying a dedicated headphone if you have a sound card. I have an Audio Technica ATH A700 and there is no comparison, it's even better for gaming than the Carcharias but the later is a bit more comfortable for long gaming sessions.

I would buy the adapter. Quite lame it doesn't come with it.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
  7. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    So guys I have a question. I bought the Razer Electra, it seems that I can't get the "full audio", I mean, the audio is fine and all. but when I use it on my Ipod, I could actually see the difference in quality, especially in bass, that the ipod has better sound. How do i get the full bass? I can't configure the actual subwoofer driver in windows. it seems that it is not being used properly

Do i really need to buy an expensive soundcard just for that??? I mean, The iPod is really that better? or the headset isnt really for PC?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what soundcard are you using
  9. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    onboard... so the only solution is a soundcaRD?
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yep. onboard is low end crap, thats why it sounds bad.
    lyndonguitar says thanks.
  11. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    I am using a Roccat Kave with an onboard and it is not crap, although I think it has something to do with It having its own drivers I think?

So yeah, Razer doesn't have one so it has to rely on onboard sound, which sucks, I will refund the product and get one that works great with onboard sound :) Thanks
  12. someguyfromhell

someguyfromhell New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the EQ on your iPod "colors" the sound (increases the highs and lows on the EQ to make it sound more pleasing). You can change the settings in Windows Media Player or Winamp to have more noticeable highs and lows.
  13. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    I tried, even on the sound driver settings itself so It will affect all sounds including games, it still doesn't fully use the bass
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats your sound card. you wont get better audio without spending any money here - remember that iphones and ipods are primarily made for music, so thats where the money goes. your cheap onboard sound is a joke in comparison.
  15. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    IMO the Electra is made for mobile devices, i didn't liked the sound even with a Titanium HD. The lack of bass is definitively because you are using the onboard audio.