1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coming back from RMA...slowly

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I recently RMAd my DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, because it would not boot. All I did was enable SMART in the BIOS, and no boot, all 4 LEDs, no beep. I figured, as well as others, that it was the motherboard. So, Im ordering a new board, and if I re-build everything again, will I have to install XP? Im wondering because it was SMART for the hard drives that messed up the motherboard. Also, is it possible that my hard drives would be causing the problem of my comp not booting? Before I RMAd, I tried the board with and without memory, hard drives, and other IDE drives, and video card, and all the same. Most people are saying it is the BIOS that caused it.

Thanks,
    Azn

NOTE: MY RAM WILL NOT WORK ON THE YELLOW SLOTS, ONLY ORANGE. (Maybe sign of bad board?)

2. Slater Guest

If it's a different motherboard model you are getting then yes, you may have to reinstall windows since microsoft made it so only 1 install per motherboard. They check this via a hash that is made during the windows install by your hardware ID's... and compares it to another hash that is made on bootup every time. If the hashes don't match up you it forces you to re-install.. although if I remeber correctly there was a person who got past that. You are still able to boot in to safe mode I believe and from there you may be able to edit the hash to be your new one but that may also open up a can of worms....

3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    sry but if its xp pro thats wrong as long as he keeps to the same chipset group (nvidia > nvidia via > via intel > intel) you just install your new drivers in windows no issues bug anything @ all i personally have done it w/ a via chipset and it was even a amd > intel swap

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's the exact same motherboard, so yeah, I guess I won't have to re-install XP Pro then.

But can any of you answer my other problems from my first post?

5. Slater Guest

na it's the board I believe... That's just my opinion though...

And cdawall thanks for correcting me. I heard it somewhere a long time ago which is most likely why I got it incorrect.

6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it still doesn't work with the new board, it will probably be the CPU or PSU, so I'll check that later on. Still nervous though.

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for trying to help guys...

8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hey np thanx for not having issues w/ the correction azn should catch that one :D no 10page disertation to why i am in fact the wrong one

9. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know I don't have to install XP Pro, but the thing is, what caused my board not to boot was enabling "SMART" for the hard drives in the BIOS, so maybe it messed up the hard drives too.

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have the same prob my hdd SMART finaly died so i guess you could just leave it off (mine hits POST but cant find the IDE drives unless i reboot repeatidly)

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    same nf4 chipset, same manufacturer, same board model, xp wont know the difference. for sn example, i switched between a pos fatality sli and a dfi sli-d frequently for a while. xp never knew a thing about it :D

12. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    the thing about smart is unknown for me so far leave it disbled ig uess or try another bios version?

13. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It'll get here tomorrow, and I'm just waiting now.