1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Comp keeps shutting down! Should I RMA?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    My comp(see signature and sys. specs), only one week old, keeps shutting down, a blue screen with the text saying "if this is the first time this happened, restart ect...) shows up for less than a secon, the the comp boots up again. But if I am on Windows long enough, I can't shut it down, and have to manually do it! Should I RMA to newegg? And if I do, what's wrong with my comp? Motherboard? Memory? I don't think it's the hard drives, or video card, or power supply. What do you guys think it is?

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please guys, I need to know!
    BTW, if I don't reply right away, it's because it keeps shutting down right now.

3. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    ur screwed. :)

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm serious, please help.
    Slip Slice, if something is messed up, I can RMA, and not spend money. You, on the other hand, need to get a new video card, and that can cost $1xx to $2xx. How much will I spend on this fixing my comp? Barely any at all, only shipping and waiting. So STFU!

5. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, im just joking lol, and plus yes I can fix it buddy, found out how just need the walk through....I have to reset bios on the card. Will find out soon enough.. :) to bad, thought u knew it all.

6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I did flash my card, I would flash it with the right BIOS! And are you sure your graphics card is ok? That why you need a new everything on your signature? You need a new graphics for sure(Lol, 9550!)

Anyways, can anyone help me please? if not, I'm just gonna RMA my memory, my processor, and my motherboard, since those are the only thing affecting it. Maybe hard drive, probably not.

7. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    im sry Azn, not everybody is rich like u. We don't all have red geeky hair, and bigazz glasses, and get w/e the fk we want. Some of us wait until prices go down, or work for it. And I see nothing wrong with my 9550 right at the moment, other than what i did to it.. But if I do get it fixed , I can play BF2 all all medium settings no lag. Aint no trouble to me.

8. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rich like me? Is an X800XL the most expensive card? NO! I barely spent money on it! You think I have red hair and glasses? Don't think so. I'm not even gonna bother with you.

9. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gr8!

10. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Ok piece of cake usually this results from a few things, no big deal.

Two Most likely Problems
    Motherboard Issues (Sometimes you get a bad motherboard)
    Power Issues

Your motherboard has amazing reviews according to newegg, which leads me to believe its a power issue, you simply can not OC a CPU on a bad PSU it just dosen't work. Check your voltages with some software, also tell us what your PSU is. I'm betting if you remove the OC on your CPU you will not get the bluescreen problem

What is your PSU? You only wrote 450 Watt, is it some generic POS PSU? Your system dosen't have a heavy load so you could easily get a good psu under say 60$ that will fix you up.

In my experience after working on tons of computers blue screen is usually caused by PSU or Motherboard. Tell us what your PSU is.

11. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, namesdontmatter, it doesn't shut down randomly anymore. I just did a clean install of XP Pro and RAID 0. It fixed all the problems but one, it won't shutdown at all. Everything loads fast, just like how RAID 0 should be. Good performance in games(tried CoD2 really quick), CoD2 loads faster too. But, when I press Start/Shut Down, it won't shut down. It'll say Saving Settings, then Logging Off, then Shutting Down, but it doesn't shut down. Is it possible a bad power supply can affect this? It's a POS power supply that came with my case. Since my Antec broke, I've been using this one. So, is it the power supply?

12. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    The current temporary POS PSU I'm using right now has 18A on 12V Rail. Yeah, I know:laugh: . Should I keep it at stock settings until I get a new power supply? Can you reccomend me one under $60, oreven better, one of those $80-90 PSU with a mail-in-rebate?

Thanks,
    Azn

13. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. markkleb Guest

Now I have been pretty quiet till now but no more.

I TOLD YOU TO CHANGE THE CHIPSET FAN!!!!!!

Its junk. Nf4 chipsets run hot anyways so they need a good cooler. You may have fried it.

Also there are 3 VERY good PS's (best in their classes)
    If money is a object and ur not SLI than the PS I used in RedChrome is EXCELLENT.
    I had 4 hdds, OC CPU, OC X800GTO, 7 Fans, H2O and lights.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163030
    (Newegg is wrong it is a dual rail)

If you have money this is one of the BEST
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817185002

And if ur insane and using Quad SLI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256006

15. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should I get that a chipset fan for the nForce 4 chipset? How can I tell that it's still not fried?

16. markkleb Guest

It costs more but cause ur video card is on top of the cooler this is very good.
    http://www.subzeropcs.com/force_chipset_cooler.html

Bad (cheap) Ps cause more probs than anything. Its important to sit down first and figure what you want to do with ur comp (OC, H2O, Lights, Multiple HDDs or SLI) than pick the right PS first. Its the backbone to your comp.

Its fun to go crazy OCing but if you dont have a good setup it will fry....

17. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mark, you see that previous post?

19. markkleb Guest

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/review.php?item=jingting&file=1

No its prob not fried(you hope) and the 2 PS are JUNK. And the thermatake wont fit at all.

Quote:
    Keeping a motherboard's chipset cool is one of the keys to a solid overclock, so this cooler would definitely be an asset to an overclocker using an nForce4 based motherboard!

20. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need a good PSU, over 500 Watts, and under $60-$70. Can you find one? I hate looking for PSUs.

21. markkleb Guest

y 500 watts? Is that a number you just made up?

22. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning on going SLI later on, when DX10 and Vista comes out. So, 500 and over would be nice.
    BTw, they don't have and chipset coolers on newegg do they?

23. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    So...

24. markkleb Guest

25. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Come on...wow, I guess I'm gonna have to wait.