1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compacting a wim file?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by johnspack, Apr 16, 2013.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?
  2. ChevyOwner

ChevyOwner

Thanks Received:
    I don't remember if when the image is mounted files can be removed from it or not, or a lot of other things on the subject. however I do understand that all the tools for this kind of thing are in the Windows AIK. There are more then likely guides on the internet, but i only know about the WIN XP ones.

More then likely the tool you need is imagex but to my knowledge even though imagex is ~600kb you need to download the whole WAIK to get it
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.