1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compaq D51S for work.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krazy Owl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I have a Compaq D51S sff socket 478 2.8 gigs 2 gigs ddr400. 64megs agp. dvd burner and 80 gigs hdd

I need to keep Win XP so other people can handle the computer. Xp home edition 32 bits.

What are the softwares I should use:

Google, Firefox, Explorer : Which one and WHY?

What other softwares you could suggest me that are useful for a starting business?

Anything I should know based on your previous experiences?

NOTE: I have no money for now so this computer is all I have if I want to start something so don't suggest me to buy something else.
    Just work around it or say nothing please. Thank you for your comprehension. :)

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Web browser is pretty much down to personal preferences, but I'd use something that can make use of Adblock (I have a similiar setup right now but with less RAM and those flash ads are wicked), so Firefox maybe?

Other than that the usual things: Your AV of choice (I usually go with MSE), an Office suit (LibreOffice normally), PDF viewers, CutePDF for printing to PDF, media codecs (I use CCCP, because I hate VLC), Winrar/7zip, and whatever the businness needs.

Krazy Owl says thanks.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    All three because it's no worse than having just one. Actually there may be instances where you don't want one or the other so giving options is good.

Microsoft Office usually is a good one, but if money is at a premium I would put OpenOffice or LibreOffice on it. Other than that, most companies will have software specific to the company, so as a starting point just load it with browsers and some form of office suite.

+1 to most of this. I would use AVG Free instead of MSE though but that is just me.

Krazy Owl says thanks.
  4. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already have MS Office Pro suite 2007. That's a good start. For PDF conversion pdf to text and opposite i have the HP office jet software included with my printer.

5. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so now the computer is setted up and just need to contact agencies to get some financing.