• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compaq presario cq70-116ea weird problem

System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX 8320e 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55
Memory Kinston Hyper X RED DDr3 1600Mhz 2x4Gb
Video Card(s) AMD NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 8gb
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD /Seagate 1TB (STEAM) / 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung S24D390HL PLS 23.6 X2 Dual Monitor
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX XT Series 600W PSU 80+ Bronze
Mouse MOTOSPEED V30 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard MOTOSPEED Inflictor CK104 Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro 64BIT
Having a lot of problems with a compaq presario cq70 laptop, it had been running fine for a while then it developed a really annoying beeping sound everytime you turned it on, It was like keys are being held down. So i replaced the keyboard it was fine for a little while then it came back again....So i started to test other things, i checked the memory which i reseated the tested with Memtest that was fine Passed, Then i checked the hard drive With HDTune it said it had failed, Temps where 56C so i then removed the HD and used the hard drive from my other laptop to double check before i replaced, Beeping had stopped booted into windows 10 fine must of turned it on and off about 5 - 6 times to make sure...Fine.

So i went and bought a new hard drive, Waited 2 - 3 days left the laptop on my desk hasn't been touched since removing the hard drive. Put the new hard drive in, Went to reinstall windows 7 using USB drive all i get is a black screen. Tried using my Windows 7 CD... Black screen, Put my back my HD from my other back in with windows 10 black screen. Now im not sure what to do next ?

Weird thing is when i used the Toshiba USB Stick to install windows 7 i noticed even though it wasn't plugged in it was still showing up on the boot devices list. So i then went to use a Trascend USB stick to install windows, It was still showing up as the Toshiba, and the Trascend only showed up when i reset the bios but same thing for the hard drive on the boot list what ever hard drive i put in there it still shows up the last hard drive in the laptop unless i reset the bios. I did want to reflash the bios but Hp only supply me with a setup.exe on the website and i cant boot into windows at all now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks J

Last edited:
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX 8320e 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55
Memory Kinston Hyper X RED DDr3 1600Mhz 2x4Gb
Video Card(s) AMD NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 8gb
Storage Sandisk 240GB SSD /Seagate 1TB (STEAM) / 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung S24D390HL PLS 23.6 X2 Dual Monitor
Case CoolerMaster Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX XT Series 600W PSU 80+ Bronze
Mouse MOTOSPEED V30 Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard MOTOSPEED Inflictor CK104 Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro 64BIT
Update : I managed to sort out the black screen problem, Turns out it was the bios. I ended up finding a guide on google on how to boot from a memory stick i had to renamed the memory stick to HP_TOOLS i then download the bios file from setup.exe hp gave me that then extracts the .FD file i needed, copied that over to the memory stick Swtiched off the pc held down Winkey + B waited about 5 mins it started beeping and it shut down then the bios was updated...Managed to install windows back on the laptop.

Problem i then ran into was that the laptop was still running to hot the new laptop hard drive was reaching 56c, i also noticed the T3200 was going 60-70c so i went with another plan which i have done before and had success with in the past i decided to change the CPU, this was a socket P so i went over to a 45nm processor which was the T6400 which as of last now in there and running fine temps seem to be down and the fan is very silent.

Except for one issue if someone could help me please with this, The temps dont seem to change or update on anyway software. Iv tried Realtemp,Coretemp,Hwmonitor and as soon as you open it up it displays the temperature but after that it freezes on all the programs Atm on Realtemp say it's Min 44 Max 45. I ran Prime95 exactly the same temperatures no movement.
What would cause that please ?