1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compare TV's or Monitors size

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Goodman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    While searching for monitors size comparison (aspect ratio & size) i came across a good site that shows you the difference between size , anyways i thought i share this with you all

Just choose the aspect ratio & write down the size number & click compare

--> http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

2. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Neat.

Great avatar BTW! Love the interceptor. :toast:

Funny thing is, it still looks awesome today and the design is 27 years old. (or thereabouts)

3. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! it's a great looking car the name was Dodge M4S (Turbo Interceptor) a prototype designed in the 1980s , 0-60 in 4.1 sec. :respect:

I just love the car & the movie The Wraith was & still is a good movie

4. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man, that was one of my favorite movies growing up. :)

Too bad Dodge never built it. Maybe it would've saved them from the dreaded K-Car. :banghead:

5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Handy site. It clearly shows you how as you make the screen wider, you actually get less screen area to view and hence see less of the scene being viewed not more, which is a common misconception. To compare, set the screen size the same for both. Also, it helps to understand it by comparing 4:3 to 2.35:1 as it's the most extreme difference on there. Ultimately, you would maximise your viewing area and hence the scene by having a square 1:1 screen, but this aspect ratio isn't used, because it wouldn't be comfortable to view. I like 16:10 best, which is the Golden Ratio.

Note that screen size means the same thing as the leading diagonal and goes from the bottom left corner to the top right corner, or vice versa.

6. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Well i wouldn't take the 4:3 aspect ratio on that site as accurate but the 16:9 vs 16:10 ratio seems accurate enough

-An example is when i compare an 21" 4:3 vs 24" 16:9 on that site it will show the 21" much higher in height...
    http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-21-inch-4x3

I still have my old Sun 21" 4:3 monitor & if i measure against my Samsung 24" 16:9 they are both the exact same size in height only the width is a bit more then 4" wider on my 24" monitor

-Here if i measure an 22" 16:10 vs 21.5" 16:9 (my sister monitor vs my dad) it is pretty much accurate...
    http://www.displaywars.com/21,5-inch-16x9-vs-22-inch-16x10

-But if you go 22" on both then you'll see that the 16:9 is a bit wider then an 16:10 monitor...
    http://www.displaywars.com/22-inch-16x9-vs-22-inch-16x10

As far as i can tell this site seems accurate when compare the size & aspect ratio 16:9 vs 16:10 but not so much about 4:3 ratio but then again it could only depends on the brand of the monitor , i guess?

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, that is correct, a 21" 4:3 monitor will be about 1" taller. Remember this is comparing the screen size only, not the actual height of the monitor. If the 21" has a shorter base, then it could be overall the same height as the 24", however the screen is actually ~1" taller.

If you don't believe it do the math.

16.8^2 + 12.6^2 = 21^2

and

16.8 / 4 = 12.6 / 3

Their numbers are accurate.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    I always measured the viewing screen only (inside the edge) & my 21' CRT is the exact same height as my 24" LCD , 11" 7/8 to be exact

9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Then it isn't really a 21" CRT, more like a 19.75".

Goodman says thanks.
  10. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Here is the monitor -->http://www.computerdisplays.co.uk/21 inch monitors/sun gdm.htm

So yes! , i agree it looks more like what an ~20".5 than a real 21" CRT as i checked the measurement in diagonal & it is 19".75 rather than 20" as it should be for an 21" 4:3 , so it all depends on the make/model of the monitor

Widescreen LCD's (16:10/16:9) things should be different if you buy an 24" monitor it should be 24" diagonal & not ~23".6 like i've seen on some LCD model

Anyhow my 24" LCD is really 24" in diagonal as it should be & that's the way i like it

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Most LCDs I've seen use actual dimensions(or make a very clear note of the actual dimension).

CRT manufacturers uses all types of sizes and rounded them up to the nearest "class". This site uses actual measurements. Which is nice for people that still have CRTs that are looking to upgrade.

12. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Sure is it's a great link for anybody looking for an upgrade for either CRT or LCD

As for CRT measurement i think what happens is , that the class itself may actually be 21" diagonal but since parts of it hide inside a plastic case which hold the class tube in place you end up "loosing" anywhere from 3/4 to 1.25" on CRT's because of this

Anyhow i just which i could buy 30-32" monitor but i can't so ill go with an 27" on my next buy in about 2 months from now , time to save money as i like to paid everything cash & have no debts...

13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, as NT said, the numbers are accurate. However, what's not so good is the presentation and the fact that there's no explanation anywhere to clarify what you're looking at. It took me a while fiddling around with it to get it. All this "4:3 as 16:9" or "16:9 as 2.35:1" stuff is quite confusing, because it's not clarified what's meant by that. It just means that cutting off the "extra bit" of the other aspect ratio and showing you how one fits into the other (I'd need to use a diagram to explain this properly). To be honest, I'm not really sure how useful that info is, anyway.

To experiment, try some easy values, such as having a screen size (leading diagonal) of 10 (inches/cm don't matter) on both sides, then put both sides as the same aspect ratio - try a couple of different ones - and look at the numbers.

Then, keep those diagonals the same, but compare different aspect ratios and hopefully the thing should become clear. As I said, it's confusing to look at and still makes my head hurt a bit. Still a handy site though and it's staying in my bookmarks.