1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compatibility and overclocking potential question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nflesher87, Jun 22, 2007.

1. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    ok so here's the deal:
    I've never overclocked or built a computer but I'm about to start,
    There's a mobo I'm getting that supports 1066/800 FSB but the mem standard is only 667 (it's sckt 775) so:
    -the memory standard means I can't put higher rated memory in it right? (I'm limited to DDR2 667?) or does memory rated higher still work?
    -if I get a 1066 fsb conroe will I be limited by that memory and it what ways?

I plan to at least dabble in OC'ing the system once built but I'm going to take my time (as I don't have much free time to begin with lol)

thanks for the input everyone!

2. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    You can still get the higher rated memories but it will only be downclocked to 667. However, when you're OC'ing, it's like trying to bring the chips back to what it's rated speed are without stressing your memory.

nflesher87 says thanks.
  3. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    so when I install say dual channel DDR2 800 in the mobo it'll be automatically downclocked to 667 but I can manually reclock it to 800?
    or the same situation with 1066 mem instead of the 800?
    if that is so then what's the purpose of the mobo having a "memory standard"?

4. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Not manually reclock it. You can't OC memory physically. When you OC your processor your RAMS get OC'ed too.

nflesher87 says thanks.
  5. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    ok then,
    say I get the 1066 fsb cpu...
    and I get the 1066 mem...
    the memory will run at 667 by default
    but is the cpu still running at 1066 fsb x the multiplier?
    and then when I oc the cpu does the mem just get raised proportionally? so I raise the FSB(hypothetical) from 1066 to 1172 (by 10%) does the ram then oc by 10% as well to 733?

6. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    FSB is FSB. It's what your processor speed is. Usually its FSB x Multipler = Your Ghz.

About the OC of rams i'm not sure...

7. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    k cause that's where I'm confused...
    I'm going to do a little research on what the memory standard of a mobo is and what it effects...

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Depending on the motherboard you have then yes, you can OC the memory seperately. My motherboard allows me to select what speed I can run my RAM at. However some have what are called dividers (normally CPU divided by X). You can set the divider to 1:1 and if you are using the 1066FSB CPU the RAM will run at 1066.

Hope that helps a bit.

nflesher87 says thanks.
  9. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Q: What's the divider shit?

10. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    My asus board has seperate controls for FSB and RAM. You enter a value (from 400-2000) for FSB and RAM, and it will pick the divider.

So its a piece of cake for me. If I want to run my memory at something weird like 804, it will automatically reset it to 800.

I'm guessing it depends on your mobo.

nflesher87 says thanks.
  11. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congrats and good luck with your first build, here some advices:

- You can put a more powerfull RAM but the system will cut it down to It's maxium support value, I'm not pretty sure if the system may suffer a damage but I already try with a mobo that only supports 533 RAM and I put a 667 version and all runs great.

- Your core 2 duo will be limited (in OC situations) in part due to "bad-OC" RAMs, you may wanna choose a good RAM to reach good FSB numbers. Someone toldme that GSkill, Buffalo and OCZ are a good brands to make OC.

- Other thing to consider is to buy a OCkable mobo, that can let you manage the Voltages of the CPU and RAMs, otherway a cheap mobo (like mine) still let you make an OC, but a small one, but If you don't wanna OC like crazy you may want to try it.

- Other things are covered on the sticky thread in the OC forum.

SALUDOS!!!

nflesher87 says thanks.
  12. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    sweet that sounds good because the mobo I'm getting is asus also so I'd assume the controls will be similar...

so this still leaves the question though, what is the purpose of the mobo's "memory standard"?

13. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your mobo the max RAM speed that it support is 667, the RAM will run at 667, even if you use a 1066 RAMs.

When you rise your FSB ALL the hardware that uses this BUS increase this speeds too (CPU, RAM, PCI slots), so, a very common action is LOWER THE RAMs SPEEDS on your mobo's BIOS to increase the FSB and still have a booteable PC, also if your mobo has the option on the BIOS, hold the stock speeds on the PCI slots.......as you'll see, that are a couple of things to care of when you OCing, so I suggest you again to read the sticky thread on the OC section to make it more clear.

CHEERS!!!

nflesher87 says thanks.
  14. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    sounds good thanks

15. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    ;)

16. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    haha that's an AMD fanboy plug if I ever saw one!

17. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really, but I don't blame you for thinking so. I just wanted to let you know that the Phenom isn't too far off. If you happen to browse through many of my previous posts regarding other folks system upgrades as well as my personal ratings that I give for other peoples system, I either recommend C2Ds often or give them quite high scores.

I'm not gonna lie though, I do happen to prefer AMD over intel but I'm not above using an Intel setup for my own personal PC. At the time I built my HTPC, if Intel had anything in the price range/performance ratio of the AM2 setup that I built, I would of probably went with that!

The fact is, I was trying to let you know that the Phenom is around the corner and I don't want you feeling bad about your nice new shiney C2D setup when the Phenom is released, thus kicking Intel's C2D and quads to the curb! ;)

18. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    lol k, yeah I'm well aware of what's coming out in the next year or so, it's just that I've been given an offer I can't refuse on a mobo and graphics card and so I figured now was the time to build