1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Complete reinstall and I'm still getting redirects?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kantastic, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I noticed that my laptop was constantly being directed while searching Google and clicking on links, so after doing a system recovery, ComboFix in safe mode, etc, I decided to just wipe the drive with KillDisk and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional. The original Windows Vista was a little slow for my liking anyway. Upon Googling for things like Java, Flash, etc, I noticed that I'm still being redirected. This scares me, because this is an absolute fresh installation! What am I supposed to do now?

Edit1: This happens in both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Kantastic says thanks.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yes sounds like dns. your isp is shitting all over you or your router is borked.

Kantastic says thanks.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    *Derf* I set my own custom DNS addresses using addresses found via a program called DNS Bench. I have just reset everything back to default. I was assuming the addresses were safe, but I'll see if there's anymore funny business after this. To be honest, I forgot I even changed the DNS settings until you guys reminded me that it was a potential culprit. Everything was fine for a while (a month or two really) until websites started redirecting the past few days.