1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Component broken off graphics card

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by xaeem, Jul 7, 2010.

1. xaeem New Member

Thanks Received:
    Today i was survicing my pc... gpu was lying by side... accidently my foot striked the unknow electrical component on the gpu.... its illustrated in the pictures.... let me know what to do... should i get it soldered or what?? tell me guys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    is the card XFX?

im not sure if this is covered on warrenty
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a capacitor (blurry pics :p). If you're handy with a soldering iron you might be able to put a new one there. YOu need to be pretty good though.
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    definitely a capacitor, if the card works, dont worry about it and continue using it
  5. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a capacitor fall off my X48 DS4 and it was working fine, but the audio bit was gone fubar - only one channel was present.

Try what Wizzard says. Those capacitors on the XFX might not even be solered on there, the one that fell off my x48 board wasnt. If it isnt, you can still see the pins on the capacitor but nowhere to guide them through the board.
  6. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    the legs of his capacitor are still on the gpu they pulled out of the cap it looks to me. you cant re solder that you would need a new cap. try it without it.
  7. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about the baking method? That could be a good try if it doesnt work properly
  8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    elaborate?
  9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't be a turd :slap: Baking only works if you want to resolder your entire card. And its not a fix for caps.
  10. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are many threads on the net about it, mainly they are fixing 8800GTX's that are giving artifatcs by striping the card out and puting the pcb in the oven for about 10 mins if im not mistaken.

So by that if it can "melt" (soften the legs of the capacitor) with the capacitor itself already somehow being in place he might get it back

Still even if it is the whole card, caps are soldered aswell ;)
  11. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    plug capacitor in, oven set to 270*C, then bake for some time, and it should have melted the solder inside the capacitor, reconnecting it.

I reckon it'd be safer if you grabbed yourself an equivalent capacitor and replaced the one thats broken off. Something that big will definitely do something important.
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to try to fix it with a replacement capicator, you'd better find the same exact thing. Stick the wrong capicator on it and you'll get all kinds of problems.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Finding a replacement cap is the best thing, the baking techique carries excessive risk which you should only do if your card is definitely bricked and as a last resort.
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Try the card and see if it works. Don't try to reuse the old capacitor - it's clearly been gutted and ruined by having the terminal ripped out of it. Also, don't try soldering another cap back on there. It doesn't sound like you have any experience with this and a ham-fisted effort will wreck your card.

Certainly don't do any "baking". That's a fast way to ruin the card. Only ever try that on a card that's already dead and you don't mind making it a little deader.

Also, please post some clear photos next time.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, he needs to stop posting those horrible pictures, because I'm sure he's intentionally using a bad camera just to piss everyone off :rolleyes:

Not sure what the problem is here. It's not like he's using that camera to post up a detailed vmodding guide where specific resistors have to be soldered... the purpose of those pictures was to show that something broke off the card, and we can easily tell that something was a capicator. Actually, it looks like that square thing with the copper coil (don't know what they're called) might have gotten knocked out of place... looks like it got twisted a little...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It was actually quite hard to make out much of anything there. Also, posting reasonably clear pictures (which these weren't) is just showing respect to the people you're asking to help you. Riiight?? :rolleyes:
  17. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    put the stuff on some nice white paper and then take some high res pictures slowly and carefully please so we can properly access the damage
  18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Baking is a horrible Idea. that will NOT work at all. The legs of the cap go into the dielectric fluid present inside of it. Baking will not work AT ALL for this. the legs were pulled OUT OF the cap from the INSIDE. as in they are still soldered to the PCB. Baking would pop it like pop corn or make the fluid leak out. it will do absolutely nothing to fix the situation. Baking is only good for solder reflowing. Even if the cap did tear off the PCB soldering would be more effective than baking. Because baking would not work for that application either.

~thanks
    qubit says thanks.
  19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Duh, exactly.
  20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Sure the pictures are bad, but I was able to tell that it was a capicator pretty quickly. I don't see how anyone well-versed in computers, like those of us in the TPU communits could NOT tell it was a capicator, even with the blurry pictures. Some people just don't have nice cameras (I don't), some people can't afford them or they might not even be available. He's obviously trying to make it as clear as possible for us... those red circles don't exist in real life, he put them there, probably with mspaint.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
  22. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    that cap is dead don't use it to reinstall go to the Radioshack and get a new cap
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  23. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    go and find a cap that is the same uf and same volts and someone to solder it if you never have done it before.
    As for the "little box" that hat was talking about alot of the XFX cards(and some other brands) have them soldered to the PCB like that.(kinda twisted) even if it wasn't normaly like that it should still be fine aslong as it didn't break contact
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    remember their polarized like a battery with -/+ they can only go on one way.
  25. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    There are no Radioshacks in Pakistan =.="

Before fixing, have you tried running the card?