• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compressing audio in video files. help.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
Hi

Ive got all my dvd's ripped onto my hard drive to play back through my xbox, dam wireless is terrible (awful virgin media thing wireless keeps dropping out). Anyhoo im assuming its the terrible speakers in my tv but when i play it back i find the quiet parts of the video are excessively quiet compared to the loud parts meaning i have to constantly turn the volume up and down.

I need to compress the audio so the dynamic range between loud and quiet is smaller, i have no issue doing this with Audacity however i have no idea how to extract the audio then recombine it in time with the video without loosing any video quality.

How would you guys go about this? Is there a utility that will do the whole lot for me or just extract insert the audio?

Many thanks guys n gals

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
fmpeg will do that.

you'll end up running something like this from the command line:
ffmpeg -i "videosource.avi" -i "audiosource.wav" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "out.mp4" -map xx -map yy

you can leave the audio source as uncompressed and use ffmpeg to encode the audio:
ffmpeg -i "videosource.avi" -i "audiosource.wav" -vcodec copy -strict -2 -acodec aac "out.mp4" -map xx -map yy

xx/yy = the stream mappings for your video and audio streams. you can get the stream numbers mappings by running ffmpeg without an output file:
ffmpeg -i "videosource.avi" -i "audiosource.wav"

in the muxing steps, replace xx with the stream number for the video, and yy with the stream number for the audio file.

I'm sure there's a GUI for this somewhere, and someone else will point that out but I tend to do almost everything with a CLI so here's my 2c.