1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

compressing c: drive?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by frankie827, Mar 29, 2009.

1. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've always wondered what would happen if i selected the compress disk option for my c: drive. i have never done it with anyother drives before, so i dont know what will happen. so does anyone know what would happen if i compressed my c: drive? would windows still work? this is probably a stupid question hahaha

2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    afaik, all it does is compress rarely/never used files.

Potentially it will just slow down the system if said files are compressed because there will be a delay as it decompresses it.

HDD's are so cheap/GB now that you should never run out of space, and need to compress.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't hurt anything other than performance. Windows will still work just fine, so will all of your programs. However, load times will probably take longer due to the need to decompress the files before use. I'd do it for storage drives, but I dont' think I would do it to the C: Drive.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well my main 160gb drive with my main o/s (vista hp 64-bit) has 16gb left and thats always after i use the drive cleanup tool. i'm trying to hold off until august to get a new drive.

what are somethings that i can do to ffree up some space? i seriously dont know where it all went. and i mean things besides just uninstalling programs. anything i can shut off(besides hibernation, thats already off) that will free up some space?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

5. red268

red268

Thanks Received:
    frankie827 says thanks.
  6. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can try using a program called TreeSize to see what is taking up space on the drive.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD