1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compute4Cash: it's a trap or not?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qu4k3r, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    stupid question, APP installed?

Also I've been running this a few days now, I've had a bit of banter with the people via email and have even got them to fix things :laugh:.

I'm running a machine that if I ran the program for 6months ( not nesscerily all at once) I'd be making £300 pounds ( 6 months is how long it takes me to get to 600 usd cap with my 6870 by the way) (374 pounds from 600 usd) so £75 there to pay me electricity bill for running the card during that time.

Frankly I thought it was iffy as hell too, but I thought what the hell.

I've walked into dodgier deals than this lol

my 6870 at 1000 core pulls 0.88 peak and can dip as low as 0.55 with 0.75 being average WU per hour.

2. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    When someone reached 50 WUs , and does get paid, a lot of us will regret not having started sooner...lol

3. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    i will have no regrets... WCG is my main focus, IDC about this really, $600 meh :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yup... :( That is disappointing for such a high clocked 6870! How doesa 5970 pull 2WU/hr then though :wtf: and someone else said something about 1WU/hr on his 6870

5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have fun with this guys, just keep the language clean.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems performance is mostly tired to the amount of stream processing units in the card.

( or nv equivilent)

7. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
    Certainly is not very trusted not knowing what that client is really doing.

But people can try it by creating another email adress and another paypal account, just to see if it works.

8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be fair, all 3rd party software has a risk of doing something that is not supposed to doing.

9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Balance: 2.72 WUs
    Value: $0.54 USD

Is that right?

10. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    2.72 x $0.2 (Feb special) = $0.54

So, yup...its correct.

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
  12. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    read your thread :eek: even more reason for me to stay away from this. Wish there was something i could do to help, N-ster......

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll stay far away from this. Perhaps if they actually disclosed what they are having your computer crunch I would think differently. Financial stuff could mean many things.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  15. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Malware! Beware!

16. Compute4Cash New Member

Thanks Received:
    @PVTCaboose1337 - The SMTP/POP stuff you found in the code comes from the library we compile against that handles our http connections. That library apparently was built with SMTP and POP support in addition to HTTP support.

The filename you found a reference to is not a file that you will actually find on your computer - it only exists on our build machine as it is the debug database from visual studio. Just google "visual studio .pdb" and you will find out all about .pdb files.

The Compute4Cash client does not ever read any files off of the hard drive, except for the Compute4Cash.ini file when the client starts up. You can verify this with any number of tools if you like, that will prove to you that your personal info on your HD is safe.

@SneekyPeet - you are absolutely right about making monthly payments rather than paying upfront. We have invested in several dual 5970 machines ourselves, but it makes more sense to us to rent the hardware from users around the world rather than investing further in our own hardware. We may buy some Radeon 6990 cards when they come out though :D

@Scaminatrix - you say that the time/effort/money you put into Compute4Cash isn't reflected in the payments, but I don't understand how you can think that. How much effort is required to register, download the program, and run it? Seems pretty simple to me... In fact, as others have said, it seems to good to be true. We have however delivered payments to several users so there are people out on the net somewhere that can vouch for us.

@n-ster - sorry to here about your experience, that is a real shame. That doesn't have anything to do with Compute4Cash though, that is a problem with the AMD drivers. We have experienced many problems with the AMD drivers ourselves and we've had to reinstall the OS several times on a few systems during our testing of different driver versions. Also in your thread you mentioned a concern about a dll - our Compute4Cash client does not come with any DLLs so this must have been related to the drivers you were installing.

@AthlonX2 - There is no spyware/adware/malware of any kind in the Compute4Cash client. Why do you think there is?

17. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Can you give us an idea of what you are doing? You have a reason to be secretive, so therefore I think you are doing something illegal. Please PM me what you do and I will promise not to reveal to the community, pinky swear. :)

But in all seriousness, can you post your source code to show us this is legit? If the program is legit, I am sure a whole lot of TPU'ers would do this! We would love to support you, we just don't trust you.

18. marvelous211

marvelous211 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this trap or not?

I want to make some money. All utilities included in our rent. :)

19. Compute4Cash New Member

Thanks Received:
    @marvelous211 - no, this is certainly not a trap. You can stop the Compute4Cash client at any point if you choose to. The Compute4Cash opportunity works exactly the way it is described on the website: http://www.compute4cash.com.

@PVTCaboose1337 - There is only one reason we are being secretive about what we are doing: competition. Right now there is not too much competition in the market we are participating in, but being more open about things would be inviting more competition which would hurt our bottom line. We know this secrecy can't go on forever and competition will find its way into our market, but we don't want to accelerate that process. For this same reason we cannot share our source code. We understand this makes it difficult to trust us, but with a bit of time we're sure you will hear enough positive reports from those who have already been working our system to convince you all that our words are true.

20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    so you admit to you subsidizing the cost of the card but what about electricity costs to the person doing the work units.

for instance, for me to make the stated $600 max cap i would actually have to currently own a card that costs around $600. then, i would have to shell out over $500 in utility costs at 11 cents per KWH (a card that can do 2 WU/h pulls currently 425-450 watts). that is low compared the the U.S. national average. don't you feel inclined to mention this on your website?

21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    But by promoting people to do work for you you are becoming more popular and thereby risking competition from the start.

By informing users what work their computers are doing how exactly do you add to that risk if that risk is already there?

You aren't the first to do this and you won't be the last. Currently folding@Home and many other have users donating. Cloud computing isn't something new and if anyone wanted to do it and knew how they could. I understand keeping your source code a secret but still fail to understand why you won't tell users what it is they are getting paid to do?

And I fail to understand how you further add to the risk of competition by telling us.

22. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    i understand them as in the market if u have 1 business which make profit u won't give away to others the idea from which started.

every company has its business secrets and is normal to keep it secret.

everybody is paid for the work period.u don't like it don't downloaded it.

even if the work is illegal it can't be proved as every gpu receive pieces (is like torrent but reversed) so is their responsibility fully.

a good programmer can make a soft like this to work for a big company to create a project.;just imagine that a 100 milUSD project made by 10000 gpu's around the world;payment 10000USD for them and a nice profit for developer and the company which don't have to invest in hardware;this way of making business will grow fast and but payments to final owner won't grow as more & more gpu's will be available.

23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  24. Compute4Cash New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, this is a difficult position to be in. If we explained enough for everyone to understand why we're being secretive then there wouldn't be any secret! The secret isn't our model - as you said, F@H, S@H, and countless others use this model. The secret is in what we're doing with the model and how we're using it to make money. That information is quite valuable, so it shouldn't be too hard to understand why we're not giving it away. Instead, by keeping it secret and using this distributed model we are able to allow other people to gain some from our idea while we guarantee that we will still be able to gain from it as well. This is a age-old business strategy.

Here are some profit calculations for those who are interested:

Estimated Stock Performance
    6970 = 0.9 WU/hr, 250W
    6870 = 0.6 WU/hr, 151W
    5970 = 2.0 WU/hr, 300W
    5870 = 0.8 WU/hr, 188W
    5770 = 0.4 WU/hr, 108W
    GTX580 = 0.4 WU/hr, 244W
    GTX480 = 0.35 WU/hr, 250W
    GTX285 = 0.2 WU/hr, 204W
    GTX260 = 0.16 WU/hr, 182W

Assuming $0.15/kWh
    Monthly profit calculation: WU/hr * 24h * 30days * $0.2/WU
    Monthly cost calculation: TDP * 24h * 30d * $0.15/kWh

Calculations for all cards listed, using Feb. promo rate:

6970 = $103 net profit/month
    6870 = $70 net profit/month
    5970 = $255 net profit/month
    5870 = $95 net profit/month
    5770 = $46 net profit/month
    GTX580 = $31 net profit/month
    GTX480 = $23 net profit/month
    GTX285 = $7 net profit/month
    GTX260 = $3 net profit/month

All profits will roughly halve when after February when we return to the standard rate and nVidia cards pretty much all net a loss.

These calculations all neglect the motherboard/ram/cpu/hd power usage and they assume that you are not using the computer for anything other than Compute4Cash. If you are surfing the web, for example, then your GPU is already using about 1/3 of its TDP so you would only be increasing your power costs for using Compute4Cash in the background by about two thirds that of the figures provided here.

Also, if you live in a cold climate, the heat thrown off by these cards will heat your house and offset some of your heating bill. In warmer climates if you use A/C then obviously this will increase your cooling costs.

matteumayo says thanks.
  25. Compute4Cash New Member

Thanks Received:
    We posted on videocards.com to advertise our website, apparently they did not like that so they banned our account. We received a similar reaction from most forums, so we moved to Google AdWords instead ;)