1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Builders, Liquid/Water Cooling for Customers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TIGR, Jan 22, 2010.

1. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    For those of you who make your living (or part of it) building computers: do you, or would you offer liquid/water cooled computers?

Would you warranty the system?
    What kinds of WC setups would you be comfortable shipping and trusting the customer with?
    Is it worth the potential for customers majorly screwing up their system?
    What kind of instructions would you include for the customer?

I've not even water cooled a system for years now and I'm not sure what products are out there and whether or not it's worth the money and time investment to test some out and determine whether or not liquid cooling is a viable option; my rigs come with a standard 3-year warranty, upgradeable to five years, and I wouldn't want to have to knock that down.
  2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say no. I'd tell them that even a professionally installed water cooling system could leak and damage their hardware.
    TIGR says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would stick to sealed systems like the Corsair H50.
    The warranty would cover what the manufacturer covers
    I would give a warranty for build screwups (labor for not doing it right the first time)
    If the customer went into their computer the warranty would be void.
    TIGR says thanks.
  4. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I seem to remember a while back, hearing that it's not legal for a manufacturer to void warranties when the customer opens up the case. I never did confirm this; do you know anything about it?

I believe I saw a memory manufacturer state it once as well, saying that by law, replacing memory modules could not void the system manufacturer's warranty, and of course you have to go into the computer to do that.

I may very well be wrong! Just want to check.
  5. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it were me: no way in hell. sounds like a nightmare.

how many more systems could you possibly sell if you offered that as an option?
    TIGR says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Manufacture warranty would still be good, but I would not honor the labor warranty. Take a power supply for example. There's a sticker saying warranty is void if tampered with. I would put that same sticker on the side panel of the case.
    TIGR says thanks.
  7. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking it sounds like a potential nightmare too, but that's why I ask you guys. :D

As for how many more could be sold, I'm sure it depends on the builder's niche, and for me it's not about "how many," it's about the ability to offer sophisticated solutions for very high-performance, quiet, or both types of rigs.

I would really like to be able to offer water cooling, as I believe when it is done right, it is an excellent option for certain builds. The idea is nerve-racking though.
  8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I would but not warranty anything to do with the WC system (they are responsible if they made it leak) unless your the one that screwed up, which won't happen anyways so...

I'd also show them how it works etc. to avoid any bad situations
    TIGR says thanks.
  9. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would build this for someone before I built a water cooled system.
    TIGR says thanks.
  10. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Director, I remember seeing Tom's do one like that, seems like a good bit of fun. The load temps do scare me a bit.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    with the RAD, the Version 2 will keep everything under 50 degrees
    TIGR says thanks.
  12. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    If you're gonna do it mate, I would stick with Sealed systems and keep it at that.
    Otherwise make it very clear that custom setups are 6months only. I say sealed systems because they use a high grade tubing that ensure minimal coolant loss over time. Where as a typical WC setup does require maintaince to work correctly.

My thoughts.

ST
    TIGR says thanks.
  13. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    I would never build a WC system for anyone who didnt already KNOW how to build and maintain a water cooling system. That being said, most anyone who does is going to be building thier own. WC imo doesnt provide enough benifit for the risks anyway, so why put that danger in the hands of someone who doesnt know enough to even build thier own system?
  14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    For home PC's I give a no loss liability warranty matching the hardware warranty. Most MFG's have a 2-3yr warranty on major components. I only warranty machines built to my specs, give no freight warranty so to avoid a customer demanding next day air at my expense. Warranty failures are met with a test and replace condition, not a customer claim only. No warranties are implied or expressed for data integrity, and the builder is held harmless for data loss of any kind. Any user modification of the core system operating system and or hardware voids all warranty expressed or implied and dissoves liability bonds of builder in for any sort of failure. Failure of the user to maintain the stated item in as good or better condition as delivered, less normal wear, is not covered by any warranty. Warrantable failure of aforementioned item and subsiquent loss of productivity and or profitability does not constitue any form of reimbursement beyond repair to original state less normal wear.

That covers my standard warranty and liability paragraph on my contract. I don't have one here so I can't copy it.

I do five year on server class systems, and or a mission critical system, and for a extra fee back their system with mine if I cannot repair functionality to theirs within 24 hours.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is EXACTLY how I handle customers who want water cooling. However, I've only been asked about it a couple of times.