1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer cant find HD's..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W2hCYK, Sep 9, 2006.

1. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    My new system cant detect my SATA hard drives. It says to reboot and make sure that they are connected, even though they are both powered on and working..

It sees the drives, but the windows xp installer doesnt see them... It saw them once, and then went kaput.. idk..

Help!!!

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Heh heh, everyone does that when they get their first spare hard drive to install in Windows...don't worry :). You just haven't partitioned, formatted, and given it a drive letter yet. So here's how you do it...
    • Click start, right click My Computer", and then press "manage".
    • In the left navigation menu, click "Disk Management".
    • Any new drive will show as "unpartitioned" Right click the unpartitioned space, and then have fun formatting. After the drive is partitioned, formatted, and has a drive letter, you will be able to access it in "My Computer".

3. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now windows detected it and it formatted and is installed.. took me... all of 9 minutes.. to install windows XP.. holy craptards!

ill come back to check on it in a second.. gf is going home, brb..

**it did it with a previously formatted drive as well. partitioned and everything.. even had alot of info on it.

seems to be doing well now.. hold up a sec.

4. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can delete this, it works now..

**superpi did 21s @ stock speed. :) im having a dandy time with this... lol.. 3dmark06 next.