• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Causing Power Outage?

System Name C-Monster
Processor AMD Athlon x2 7750 Black Edition
Motherboard Asus M3A78-EM
Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight
Memory OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC
Storage WD3200KS 320 GB 7200 RPM, 2 WD10EADS 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache
Display(s) Flatron L227WTG 22" Widescreen, Asus 22" Widescreen
Case Antec 900 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 650w BFG
Software Windows Vista Enterprise x32 5.4 Rating/Windows 7 Beta
Hey all,

I just recently experienced two power outages in about an hour(it is nice out). I am using a newly built computer and running some high demanding tasks with it. I'm wondering if my computer is causing the whole houses power to go out, or if that is even possible.

Not sure if this is related, but whenever my computers ethernet is plugged in, our cable tv(ATT) basically comes to a standstill. Then when unplugged it works fine again. I'm not sure how that is possible.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
It is highly likely. I live in an older place with one 20A breaker for my office, bedroom, and bathroom (whole second floor actually) If you were close to the limits, a powerful PC could take you over the edge and blow the breaker/fuse.

On the flip side, I would think if it was some sort of a short circuit, it would manifest when power was applied, not just on demanding loads.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It is highly likely. I live in an older place with one 20A breaker for my office, bedroom, and bathroom (whole second floor actually) If you were close to the limits, a powerful PC could take you over the edge and blow the breaker/fuse.

On the flip side, I would think if it was some sort of a short circuit, it would manifest when power was applied, not just on demanding loads.

This. If anything your circuit breaker is tripping or you have a short circuit. I highly doubt that anything outside your house will be damaged by any normal amount of power draw for the entirety of a house (or several depending on the size of the transformer).

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

The bathroom shouldn't be on the same circuit as your bedroom and office. It should using GFCI/RCD on a different breaker all together. If you are not I suggest you get an electrician out there to fix that ASAP. If its true the entire second floor is on one circuit I suggest you move or have it rewired. That's not only poor building but dangerous.

But I don't expect you to listen to me.

Hey all,
I just recently experienced two power outages in about an hour(it is nice out). I am using a newly built computer and running some high demanding tasks with it. I'm wondering if my computer is causing the whole houses power to go out, or if that is even possible.
Not sure if this is related, but whenever my computers ethernet is plugged in, our cable tv(ATT) basically comes to a standstill. Then when unplugged it works fine again. I'm not sure how that is possible.
If you are going to be living where you are right now I suggest you have a dedicated line ran to your computers outlet.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
The bathroom shouldn't be on the same circuit as your bedroom and office. It should using GFCI/RCD on a different breaker all together. If you are not I suggest you get an electrician out there to fix that ASAP. If its true the entire second floor is on one circuit I suggest you move or have it rewired. That's not only poor building but dangerous.

But I don't expect you to listen to me.

It is all on one :(
Have plans to move, just need to find something to fit my needs locally.
After 10 years here i have just learned to play the game with power draw, and make sure that hair dryers and such are powered downstairs ;)

Also being its a rental and my landlord sucks, I doubt a rewire is in the cards.