1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer fails POST after OC

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by NJDdjn, Feb 20, 2009.

1. NJDdjn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I overclocked my e7200 from 2.52GHz to 3.0GHz and the computer wouldn't boot up. Then I tried a number of things. I tried resetting the BIOS by both taking the battery out for 10 minutes or using the jumper. I then figured it was the CPU so I bought a e7400 but that didn't help.

I am using 2 Gigs of OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066Mhz memory, an Abit IP35V MB, an Ultra X3 1000W PSU and a Raedon 4850 video card, along with the E7200 or E7400.

Can anyone help? Is the memory or motherboard known to be crappy?

:banghead:

2. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Will it power up at all? Any beeps?

3. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, If isn't power up then mostly the mobo died, If it powers up and do nothing, can be the mobo too, kinda hard could be the CPU or the RAMs.

4. NJDdjn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it powers up, it beeps. but it cycles 3-4 times before remaining on. The hard drives spin, the DVD ROM turns on, if i leave it on a while the CPU heatsink gets warm and the memory gets warm. but it doesn't seem like it starts all the way up. just some initial "clicks", no posting, then the fans just run and nothing happens. Usually when it starts up you can hear the computer processing a lot more as it loads. So I doubt its the video card.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it one beep or more? Long beeps short beeps? They are motherboard beep codes and let you know if there is a problem with your system.

6. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Like Erocker said, count the beeps and then go to the MoBo's website and you should be able to find some tech info there.

7. NJDdjn New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually i just checked and there are no actual beeps. just the clicking sound, and only a short amount of clicking. on the third cycle it turns on.

8. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Thats a tough one. Im thinking something fried on the MoBo. Maybe the start up circuit. Maybe the chipset.

9. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Removing parts with the PSU plugged on AC, its a good reason to kill a motherboard .

Try to boot with one stick of ram .

10. NJDdjn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried resetting the BIOS again using the "last resort" technique in the manual. You take out the battery, disconnect all power cords to the motherboard AND reset the CMOS jumper. At the same time I only used on stick of RAM. The only difference was that it only cycled once before turning on. But no post.

A guy has a used Asus Rampage Formula board that he's going to let me try tomorrow. If it works, I might trade his board for my E7400 and some money. Thanks for the help.

:mad:

11. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok you are in a hard spot , but from it you have to learn something for the future.

Motherboards does not survive after extreme overclock , or by moving parts with PSU plugged to AC .

I do not play the smart one , i just own one board that at their glory days , every one tried to OC it to hell , just to prove him self .
    And that cause many wonderful motherboards to die (burn out) .

Be more gentle with the next one .

12. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definetely, when you take out the battery you should at least unplug the power cord from the PSU and click the power button of the case to completely drain the capacitors.

13. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    NEVER!!!