1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Forensics

Discussion in 'General Software' started by GoFigureItOut, Jun 30, 2013.

1. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    While surfing on Amazon, I searched for "Knoppix Hacks" A few books that popped up were about Computer Forensics. I was wondering if its possible to learn Computer forensics from a book? Several books received slightly negative reviews for being too basic. I'd like to get my foot wet just to get a basic understanding of the unique field. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
  2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    Uhm basically i have no idea how to suggest that you can start with this. For Software i guess you could learn coding as an basic idea on how to decipher data. As far as hardware goes i would suggest learning electrical engineering. As much as i would like to help i am guessing this could be a base to start.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    What experience do you already have? If you don't have any prior schooling or a degree in IT or computer science, you may find a lot of what you're going to read to be over your head.
  4. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to delve into the software aspect of computer forensics.

Experiences? None.It sounds like this isn't something that can be learned on your own.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course you can learn about computer forensics on your own. You can learn about anything if you set your mind to it.
    The problem is that computer forensics is basically data recovery that fits into legal guidelines for presentation of evidence for criminal activity or legal audits.
    You will not have the equipment, nor the experience, to get a job in it without going to school or working your way up withing a company that does that and is willing to hire you without credentials, but you can still learn it if you want.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    There are tons of free software options you can get to start learning about Forensics. I actually just finished up my Masters in Information Security and Assurance and concentrated on Forensics and Ethical Hacking (something I have changed my mind to and want to get in the career field of) and OSF Forensics is pretty cool, TrueCrypt (yes) Wireshark, and others. I have a ton of links on IE 10 that I saved and I believe I have a list of links my professors gave me for forensics tools. There are free labs out there as well. Books can help you understand the programs and run steps with software to get the hang of it. However you will need to branch out and do things with the software (especially with Cell phones, that is so cool, lol) and read things from Ram, deleted files on a HDD ,etc.