1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer hanging *sigh*

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by MRCL, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Ok, this one is really weird.

It started when I connected, as usual,my mobile phone via USB. Moved some stuff on it, and disconnected it. Shortly after, the system freezes completely. Upon reboot, the CPU fan error occurs, as usual, but another error message appeared:

USB device over current status detected !! (the exclamation marks are really there)
    System will shut down in 15 seconds.

And it does it every time. Now, if I leave the PC off for a couple minutes, the message doesn't come again, abd the system boots up normally. I can use Windows, but afterlike 10 to 15 minutes, it freezes again, showing the above message upon reboot.

I googled quite a lot, but everyone seems to say something different about it. I tried disconnecting some power consuming stuff as my PSU is slightly on the edge, doesn't work.
    Some stated its the case USB ports, so I disconnected the USB cables from the motherboard. To no avail.

Some stated the motherboard could be dieing, and I'm afraid of that and do not really believe that.

Aside from those freezes, the system is behaving fairly normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus Formula, with latest BIOS (no Beta).

You TPU guys know everything, can someone please help me out of this annoying misery?

2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is it a bad USB cable? We have some barcode scanners at work that are hooked up to laptops. When the cables get all pinched and torn up, the scanners stop working and they get an over-current alarm on the laptops.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    It could be USB, then again, it could be instability.

My Dad's PC did this, when it didnt like the CPU, started chucking out all sorts of random BS messages.

It could well be that the system is so unstable it is giving a message to what it thinks is the problem.

Ths BIOS isnt always right, its just based on if buts and maybes and then throughs out the relevant (or not) message.

Do you have the same issues on stock clocks?

4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    It happened again today, and I did not connect anything.

Didn't try on stock clocks yet. Although its odd since I am running the current speeds since quite some time without problems. But I will try with everything on stock.

5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    How long have you run it those parts OC'd? It could be that as your parts are aging they cannot acheive the same clocks at the same voltage.

6. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Uh, about a month or so I think. The mobo is quite new, CPU is secon hand however.
    Could it also be due to overheating of some parts? NB used to get pretty hot, I had a fan on top of it when the hardware was without a case, now this is not the case. I definately have to try on stock clocks.