1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer housing

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by djrancotebias, May 16, 2014.

1. djrancotebias

djrancotebias New Member

Thanks Received:
    To view this case mod, go here.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Specs:
    MOTHERBOARD - A770DE+

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor, 3000 MHz

VIDEO CARD -MSI ATI RADEON HD 5830 TWIN FROZ ll

RAM - 5GB KINGSTON

POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR CX600

DVD-RW - ASUS

FAN CONTROLLER - Gembird FSCP-2

2. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Looks quality! Did you start from scratch or mod from existing furniture?

3. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received:
    You put those cheap components under glass and didn't even attempt any kind of cable management ? What a mess ! Sorry dude ..... looks like a 5 year old threw there toys in there toy box and left !

4. djrancotebias

djrancotebias New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought the store office, I've edited it. thank you for your appreciation.

5. djrancotebias

djrancotebias New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey dude, you're right I held the cables. and gives the components are old, you expect to see only expensive parts or to see the ideas of others, I do not ask you why you go on this site? without any offense.

6. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received:

Hey " Dude" , LOL , sorry you took offense about the " cheap components ", didn't really mean your PC is crap as long as it does what you want it to do ! I watched your video and saw the effort you put into modifying the desk into a " PC Case " ..... I love it when people do that and it's a cool idea ! But after watching your vid and seeing the effort of making everything nice and good craftsmanship, you just toss your parts in without
    putting any effort to make it look nice, just after you put in all that work to build a PC under glass ( which I am assuming you want it to be seen ) ! Just little things ( which would cost about $10 and 20 minutes ) you
    could do to make it look sharp. Like buy a pair of matching sata cables, you have one twisted yellow and another then you have a blue one just stretched across looping in and over other cables, buy 2 matching
    cables and wire them nicely, take a few cable ties and organize the others so they don't look like a spider web ! Take your HDD and at least mount it straight or in another spot so you have better cable flow !
    Little things like that would make it so much nicer and is so easy to do ! I wasn't bashing your parts, just bashing the cable management because you did put so much effort in building it and you want it to be seen,
    then seems like you gave up on the whole idea of the build in the first place. Do those little things and my other little suggestion would to put a slightly smoked color glass instead of clear and you would have a very cool functional working piece of art !!! So, all I am saying is CLEAN UP YOUR CABLES !!!!!! Have Fun and
    Game On !

7. w2ed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you planning on any lighted photos so that we're not guessing what the case actually is? Can't tell without looking at the comments if the desk IS the case or if the case is just sitting on top. (Not complaining about the mod, just the photos -sorry.)

8. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received:

Go here and watch the video !!!!!

w2ed says thanks.
  9. w2ed New Member

Thanks Received:
    SpaceProwler, Thanks for posting the video (which I hadn't seen a link to), it helps show what the photos posted didn't. It also helps give your criticism a better frame of reference, as I can clearly see the problems your talking about better in the video.

djrancotebias, I agree with the advice Spaceprowler gave you: while we disagree about what glass to use - I'm not a big fan of glass, preferring screens and mesh to both show off and add extra airflow - we're both in agreement with the cable management problems. It doesn't take or cost much to get consistent cabling and lighting for the insides, and managing the layout of the cables will both improve the look and the cooling potential of his desktop. Something as simple as cable ties, which can be bought for a couple of dollars at a hardware store, will help to better organize both the cabling in your system and improve the airflow.

Speaking of which, I see a few other areas you can improve that won't cost much but will make this project a little better. The most important, I feel, is the airflow you have for your rig. If your system were watercooled your system would be less of a problem, but even if one (or more) of those fans I see around the case is sucking the air out of the system as it is pushed in, you're faced with one of two problems: too much air going and not enough coming out, or too little air going in and all of it being sucked out. You also have, from the looks of things, one hole on the inside of the desk - which could serve as a potential block when in use. I'm thinking if you widen and screen those holes on the sides you might be able to cut out fan use (and noise as a result), if not eliminate them altogether. (Test it first, though - no need destroying hardware, even if it is old!)

Finally, in spite of the cable management and ventilation concerns I voice, I do like the thought and effort put into this. There's a lot of potential with this setup for expansion and improvement, and I think by using the desk as you are, you're going to hit upon a wealth of ideas on where to take things. (Essentially: You have a LEGO mod, to which, due to how much this could be modified beyond submission. I'm not a fan of how you did it, but I do like what you did. :)

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    nice idea, personally i dont complain about hardware
    maybe if you add a layer below motherboard tray you can hide the cables and make it cleaner
    and thankz for sharing

11. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received:

I only referenced the glass as he was already using glass, and since it is a desk, glass or acrylic does make sense as it can still be used as a desk ( can't write on screen....:D ). Also, desks tend to have things spilled on them plus if was screen or mesh, a lot
    of dust and stuff would freely flow down on top of all of his components , and GLASS adds CLASS !!!! :cool:

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. djrancotebias

djrancotebias New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes gentlemen unfortunately I rushed to post those pictures and that video.
    Soon to follow was bought a HDD and SSD.
    There will be a total of 2 HDD and 1 SSD for them I want to make a nice stand to enclose them all three.
    When you organize the cables, but the problem is that the organization can not do until you buy these cables.
    As soon as you do this you will contact everyone to see the final project.
    Glass is secured so there is no risk to break.
    Gentlemen, thank you for criticism and appreciation, this is good for me to not rush and do all the way to work.

13. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received:
    Glad your listening and keeping up on your post !!!! We are just people trying to help or just offer feedback !
    I read that your adding an SSD to your system, that is going to make it much more responsive but I see your
    running a motherboard that does not support sata 3 6gb's connectors .... that will limit your SSD unfortunately .
    But in most case scenarios you won't tell the difference except for benchmarks. Also I read your using 5gb of RAM,
    don't see how your doing that config with 4 RAM slots except if your using 3x1gb stick and 1 2gb stick, that will
    cause some serious RAM issues not running identical sticks, get 4x2gb of highest DDR2 speeds ( 800mhz i think ) and
    also do not know if your running 64 bit Operating System or 32 bit, if you are running 32 bit.... you will max out at 4gb !
    If you have CPU-Z, open it up and see under the memory tab what your speeds are and what channel #'s you are
    running..... you might be in single channel config even tho your mobo uses dual channel slots , if you are using
    different sticks and if they are at different speed or timings.... your mobo is going to use the slowest stick and
    time the rest to that sticks settings !!!! Just food for thought !!!!
    Keep it up and enjoy your build !!!!
    *Note: I saw in video your only populating 3 dimms for your ram .... you might be in single channel mode, big performance hit on that !!! Tho some mobo's will run dual channel with 3 sticks, depends what slots are populated.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  14. w2ed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true, and I shouldn't have suggested it for the desktop itself. However, a well-ventilated and filtered system would minimize the dust coming in (yet another reason for using mesh/screens on the sides, as it can be used to hold said filters.) As for it adding class, that's subjective - It's nice to show off your work, but in the case of a desk where you're probably not taking it to LAN parties and aren't showing it off often, it's just a look that will be ignored 90% of the time.

You're confusing two separate issues - the most it should cost to organize your cabling is a couple of dollars for ties or straps, unless you plan on buying more expensive sheathes and wrapping for it. Replacing the SATA cables will look good, but it will mainly be a minor help in some of the organization. Since it sounds like it's a work-in-progress, you might want to consider electrical tape until everything is locked-in - not only can it be bought for less than a dollar, it can be used for a temporary hold while you finish organizing things. (Key word is "temporary" - it'll hold some cables for a while, but with time cheap tape will stop sticking. Depending on your taping skills, it'll also look ugly and unprofessional until you either buy ties or sheathes to make it more permanent. )

Other than that, keep up the good work - you're definitely further ahead than me on this, and I see a lot of potential on where this could go. You're really your own limit.

15. spaceprowler

spaceprowler

Thanks Received: