1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Is Beeping - Is It the PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reventon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    So today I brought my computer to my friend's house (the is a desktop, not a laptop) and when I had to go I brought it back to my house. When I hooked everything up at my house and turned the computer on, it started beeping. At first I assumed it had to do with the graphics card because my screen wasn't getting a signal so I removed my graphics card and restarted my computer and it was still there. Last time my computer was beeping like this it was the PSU. However I'm not sure what the problem is. Between the time I unhooked my computer at my friend's and hooked it up at my house, I don't alter anything in the computer. What is the problem?

2. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Something could have come loose. Try to reseat your RAM and other PCI/PCIE cards you have.

3. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    weird hey?
    Id check all the internal conections to be sure nothing loosened during the transport..
    if that dont help imo id clear the cmos and try that mate... good luck:toast:

4. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    CMOs?

5. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    CMOS

Your BIOS.

6. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay. Well I just started it up again and a red light on the bottom of my GPU will flicker a few time then the computer will beep twice and then it will do it again. Before it was just constant beeping.

7. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    pop the mobo's battery out and use the jumper on your board to clear the cmos... RTC

8. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I removed one of the sticks of RAM and the beeping stopped. Now the 2 red lights on the bottom of my GPU are flashing.

I haven't removed the battery yet because I'm trying to find the jumper

fullinfusion says thanks.
  9. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do I remove the battery then put it back in then jump it or jump it when it's removed?

10. denice25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree!!!

11. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    remove the batt and move the jumper over for 60sec... move the jumper back and replace the batt.. easy as that :toast:

12. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently mine doesn't have a jumper because I can't find it.

Anyway, I removed a stick of RAM and the beeping stopped. So then the only problem was that I was getting no video. So I removed my 4850 and just used my onboard VGA and now it works. So I am going to put the 1 stick of RAM back in and see if it works. Then restart and put in the 4850 and see if it works.

13. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    One of my sticks of RAM is corrupt because when it's removed my computer doesn't beep. Going to test my VGA now.

14. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    it would so help us to know the actually model of your Motherboard and the maker your RAM.

15. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    And the type of beeps. What you're hearing is a diagnostic code that's standardized. 3 long beeps, 3 short beeps, 1 short beep 4 long ones, etc all mean different things. If you give us the model of the motherboard we should be able to tell which of the beep code systems it uses.

List of Beep Codes|

Its most likely an IBM BIOS code.

16. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    and the thanks tab is always a good thing :toast:

17. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like one of the PCIe power connectors on the 4850 was loose. when you reinstall it make sure they're tight. It all points to the GPU not getting power. Also if you cleared CMOS make sure to disable onboard video before trying to use the 4850.

18. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't loose. Besides, there is only one.

Here's what I have so far:
    I looked up what code the beep was for on the Compaq website and managed to find the problem. One stick of RAM as of now is corrupted, however I meed to test it again. I got my 4850 working, so that is good. Just the RAM needs to be checked.

19. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Power spike... it actually might be your PSU that killed the ram stick.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  20. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    LOL i cant beleive that it took so many posts for some one to tell him about beep codes! first think that came to my mind. i would check the beep codes list from fiendo

21. Ammugonevil

Ammugonevil New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't read much of the above but a beeping of the motherboard is normally due to

- PSU being too low; not enough power.
    - CMOS battery being drained.
    -

22. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    try to place both mem sticks on the slot you are currently using, just so that you can rule out a burnt mem slot...

23. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    @Ammugonevil i have to say thats in your experience maybe. BUT beep codes are there for a reason and they each have their own 'code' to tell the user of the problem. its the motherbards own diagnostic notification. i have had beep codes a few times and each time its either somthing not connected right or not seated correctly or not installed hardware in correct or order/correct way. (thats what i found from other cheeper builds)

Before anyone goes about restting bios i would check to make sure everything is seated correctly. I think the main fact people just shoot in the wind is that they dont understand beep codes. Beep codes are there for a reason and they will point you towards the main problem, if not THE problem with your setup.

Instead of people making guess at this, which i cant understand why you are, there is a beep code from the motherboard which in a sense is a 'GOOD' sign if you have problems.

The best way of solving this is tell us what the beep code sounds like and the motherboard you have and we can point you straight in the right direction. Infact most motherboard manuals have a beep code short list that will point you towards it.

For those that dont know about beep codes please do read up on them it will take you 10 mins and you will be alot more wiser for the fact of knowing. I come across beep codes often in my job as im a second line support technition and its sad to say but i love it when im given a pc thats broke and i boot it up and it beeps at me, least i know where the problem might reside. Beleive me its far worse getting given a computer thats completely dead and having to start hardware diagnostics as there is no idea why its dead.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  24. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reefer86 is so right! beep codes exist for the sole reason of pointing the user to a specific problem and eventually the correct solution!

we need to know exactly what mobo you are using as well as the bios used by it, because different companies use different code lists!
    (i.e. dell, IBM etc)