1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aries117, Feb 13, 2012.

1. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,
    I am not sure which thread to put this in because I could not find a troubleshooting thread. Anyway, my computer keeps freezing and I have to do a hard shutdown to restore it. At first I thought it must have been a sound card driver or video driver but I have gone in and updated all of them and it still freezes. I am getting really concerned because I have used my antivirus to scan for viruses and I don't have any. I have gone through my own drivers and they all say up to date but when I download a driver finder it finds quite a few that I need but wants to charge me money to use it. I am desperate at this point because this is my dream computer and my first pc build and I don't want to have a paperweight that freezes all the time. I have an ASUS Intel LG1155 Maximus IV Extreme mobo, an HIS IceQ ATI Radeon 6970 2G gpu, an Intel i7-2600k quadcore 3.4ghz cpu, a pc power and cooling 910w silencer psu, 8G of gskill sniper memory I forget the clock speed. I do not think it is temperature because it will freeze with little use, and my core temp monitor never goes over 35 degrees C. Could anyone please help me to figure out what is wrong with my pc?
    Thanks
  2. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
    OK, when you say "freezes" can you be a bit more specific?

At any rate, if you have ruled out video drivers, try making sure your video card is fully connected. I have connection issues with my video card sometimes and it can be annoying. But then again, I get a similar issue as you... and I also have G.Skill memory (but not Snipers).

Three questions I have for you are:

1) Have you ran memtest on your RAM?
    2) What is the temp on your CPU and have you overclocked it?
    3) How long have you had your power supply for?
  3. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    By freezing I mean the computer seizes and does not respond at all and the only way to do anything is to hold the power button until it turns off. All of my hardware was bought in November so it is new. I have not ran a memtest and my cpu never goes over 37 degrees C. I do not have it overclocked.
  4. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Can you easily replicate the problem? After couple of minutes, after coming out of standby etc? If not, well most likely culprit is RAM in most of the cases. Try using only one at a time, try to isolate the problem. That is, if you aren't keen on doing a memtest run.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you should.

Also, check the error log in Administrative Tools in the Control Panel for any errors or warnings.
  6. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    When you ask a question like this list all your parts. Also Its not always a driver. Eliminate a lot of parts by simply removing them, Sound card, extra ram, anything that is not essential to running. If the problem stops then try each part separately and see where your conflict is. And test your memory as already mentioned. Try running a live Linux disk. If it stops then it may be software related.
  8. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't figure out how to install memtest. Can it be done with daemon tools?
  9. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    no... you boot it from a cd/dvd to test the mems while not in OS.
  10. basco

Thanks Received:
    quote:
    but when I download a driver finder it finds quite a few that I need but wants to charge me money to use it.

they will always find something useless or older drivers..never use this tools or pay for it.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

take the autoinstaller for usb.
  11. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same issue and we have similar equiptment. I am curious to see your solution. And I bought all my hardware in December. I don't even get BSOD dump files most of the time it happens. Sometimes I am working on the computer and the screens just go black like they lost signal. I leave my computer on 24hrs a day so when I come home half of the time it is frozen, same when I get up in the morning. I never know when I walk in if the computer will wake up and I am forced to hold the power button down to restart.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    New hard drives aswell?
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would run some tests on your harddrive as well.
  14. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every time I run a system restore it works for awhile and it seems that whenever there is a critical windows update or whatever that is when it starts freezing. It also freezes while doing random things so it's hard to isolate the problem.
  15. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I have been running the memtest for almost 9 hours now. How will I know when it is done. At the bottom it says Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit
  16. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    no errors after 9 hours.... i would say your ram is just fine then.

maybe its time to reinstall the OS?
  17. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well like I said, it always starts freezing after a windows update and I do a system restore and it works fine.
  18. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Try and isolate which update causes the problem and, when you do, skip that particular one permanently.
  19. airbud7 New Member

Thanks Received:

^This^...Everytime...
  20. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

May be this - On January 31, 2011 Intel® announced the detection of a design error in the new Intel® 6 Series support chipset, also known as Cougar Point. ASUS has updated all motherboards with revised Intel® 6 series B3 chipsets, with every SATA port now certified safe to use and the Cougar Point support chip issue resolved. ASUS offers multiple ways to easily identify revised products. Primarily, check for labels showing “New B3 Revision”. These are clearly displayed on products and packaging.

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/Identify_B3_Motherboards/

nb: If you get a chance fill in your system spec's in UserCP

atb (all the best)

Law-II
  21. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well this might be my problem, I do not have the B3. So I need to get into contact with ASUS then?
  22. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well does the error occur with i7 processors? because it is saying its only the 6 series
  23. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I updated my User CP page so hopefully that will let you guys know what I have to better help me.
    Law-II and Jetster say thanks.
  24. aries117 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I am reduced to using my laptop. My computer won't stay unfrozen long enough to run anything. Should I try a system wipe and reinstall windows and everything?
  25. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't system restore help? You mentioned that it was when you made some updates to Windows that it started acting up, which is why i suggested to try and determine which one was the culprit and skip it permanently.

It is possible some Windows files got messed up and that's what's causing the instability. If this is the case, then a fresh Windows install will help.