1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer lock ups...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dccool879, Dec 21, 2006.

1. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My computer is in my signature. I actually have an Opteron 165 in it now, but w/ the venice it would randomly lock up. The lock up's are becoming more and more frequent. I replaced the power supply and still got lock ups. the video card is not overclocked, the cpu is not over clocked. i did memtest all night. and it's not just a windows software issue because i tried to compile a linux kernel and it locked up. when it locks up the screen doesnt go black, it just pauses at what it was at, and it plays like the last 1/2 second of sound over and over, and if no sound was on a hear a repeating click click click in the headphones. i'm guessing it is the motherboard? i've also gotten the newest ati drivers, and nvidia nforce drivers :cry:
  2. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and the weirdest thing is no programs or stress test trigger the lock up. prime95 wont, 3dmark06 wont, it seems like it occurs more during games, but not sure. but even when i leave my computer idle on desktop w/ just aim on, it has locked up.
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    virus?
  4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But it happens in Linux too. If it's only happening on one CPU, could you try it in another PC?

Edit: have you modded the graphics card in any way?
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yeah but it could be one that screws with the ram or HDD and that would carry over from Windows to Linux
  6. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    happens on both cpu's, the venice and opty 165. and my gcard is comp stock, used to be overclocked like 20 mhz (b/c x800xl's can't oc too high) but now it's at stock speeds.
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    have you tried to roll back your drivers?
  8. Verikon

Verikon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming the Linux install was on one of your hard drives and not a live CD? If so, I'd test whichever hard drive Windows is installed on. My brother had strange lock ups when his hard drive was failing. Worth a shot, and then you'll be able to rule another component off the suspect list.
  9. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like Verikon says, it could well be the hard drive. If it was the CPU or RAM you would expect errors in Prime95, and if it was the motherboard I wouldn't be surprised if you got errors. Back up any important data and try swapping out individual components if you can.
  10. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    how would i test my hard drive? by error checking?
  11. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You might be able to get a tool from the hard drive mannufacturer that will let you check it. Look on their website.
  12. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:

yea i blew my PSU OC'ing my X800XL.....:shadedshu
  13. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    disable your onboard sound, remove all drivers\folders to do with it and do a registry cleanup. let us know if that works.
  14. Verikon

Verikon New Member

Thanks Received:
    You would use the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. If you can burn a CD from your computer, or any computer, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD. It contains every HDD diagnostic tool out there, plus tons of other tools for diagnosing hardware.

http://ultimatebootcd.com/

Go under Hard drive tests, then press right, then select whichever manufacturer your hard drive is. I would also suggest running the Hitachi HDD Test, as it's the only diagnostic test out there that will test ANY brand of hard drives and it's a good second opinion. All the other diagnostic tests will only test their specific brand. And if you have a Toshiba drive (and maybe Samsung, I can't remember), there isn't a specific test for that brand so just use the Hitachi test.

PS. Make sure you run advanced tests on all the drives.
  15. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice find, I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever need to run diagnostics.
  16. Verikon

Verikon New Member

Thanks Received:
    At the computer repair store I work at, it's our number one diagnostic tool for hardware issues. I can't even count how many times a day I use that thing.
  17. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    weird, i did what you said, and instead of locking up w/ the screen frozen and the sound clicking, it now would go black, or go black and reboot automatically. i found out a place that always makes my computer freeze, and that is refreshing the server list in battlefield 2
  18. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    very strange...

clear your cmos (remove battery and power cord for 2-3 mins) leave everything stock and update your bios (via dos or with a built in eeprom programmer the bios may have) i wouldnt advise using a windows flasher with your comp in its current state.
  19. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've already tried all the bios's, and this one seems the most stable. ill set the clear cmos jumper and reflash the bios just to make sure
  20. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    when flashing use the following commands after you put the bios name in (assuming your doing it from dos) /F/QI/CC/Sn/Py
  21. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    with dfi bios it does it all automatically
  22. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    im not one for trusting "automatic" stuff ;) at least doin it yourself you know the commands are getting executed and it cant feck anything up :p
  23. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet. bios flash sucessful, reboot, nothing on the screen. tried a different video card, still nothing. i'm so dumb i wonder what i did wrong......... anyone want to trade a 939 mobo for like my NES console? it has the duck hunt gun :] i have like no money........ i hated my old motherboard anyways. i remember with my venice that only the original bios was stable, and anything newer wasnt, and that the original only supported single core, and all the other ones which would freeze the venice supported dual core. that's probably it, it was incredibly unstable with the newer bios
  24. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    you should be able to rma the board. or you can hotflash the bios chip on a working board
  25. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    man idk who else has this board. will dfi send me a new pre programmed chip? that'd be really good because i'd like to get a new motherboard anyways and use this current dead one w/ my venice