1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer locks up when Idle???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gilletter, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Let's see if anyone can help me with this little dillema I'm having... Ever since I bought my new setup (mobo, cpu, mem, vid card) I've been having problems with my computer locking up when it goes idle (screensaver, or monitor shutting off) Now, it never did this before with my old computer setup... I thought it was a multitude of things, first I removed the dual core optimizer cause I noticed it after I installed that... Next I thought it was Azureus, so I didn't run AZ when I'm not physically on the computer... Seemed to work, but I came home today and it's locked up again... I've done an adware scan, virus scan, nothings popping up, registry scan and fixed errors, and still doing it... I'm getting frusterated cause I hate having to come home and restart my computer, or just restart it when I let it sit too long... :confused: :confused: :confused: :banghead:
  2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    make sure nothing is going into power savings or standby.

I've not had good luck with the 'sleep' function either.
  3. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I set it to ALWAYS ON, and only have the monitor set to shut off at 20 minutes (just so the screens not sitting here constantly on) even with a screensaver set, and monitor not set to turn off it still locked up, I'd just come home to a frozen screensaver... which was worse imo...
  4. Shinjion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem; all of my stuff is off; except for the monitor turns off after 20 minutes. Whenever i leave my computer idle for maybe 30 minutes or more, when i come back, i can still hear sound if i left a game open, or music if i left WMP playing. But, everything else is frozen and the hour glass cursor won't go away. I downgraded my video drivers and it hasn't happened since then. I'm not big on ATI products, but i know alot of people have problems with Nvidia's later drivers.
  5. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Well I've got a ati x1650 pro ... wonder if the newer drivers might be causing it...??? anyone else confirm or deny???
  6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Check out the system log in administrator tools in control panel.
  7. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    under admin tools I see... component services, computer management, data sources (ODBC), event viewer, performance, services... ???
  8. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    And what exactly am I looking for in the log file???
  9. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I've seen this error SEVERAL times... I wonder if that's what's happening... Can anyone tell me in english why that's been coming up?

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
  10. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    tried an older driver, still messed up, tried newest driver, still messed up... This locking up is driving me nuts... Is there anyway to find out what's causing this computer to lock up like it is?
  11. Shinjion New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats not a problem w/ your screensaver, but with your network. but if you can still surf the web... don't worry about it.

now, what screensaver are you using? anything besides whats built into windows? maybe try turning it off and just have your monitor sleep after 20 min.
  13. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Well here's my theory... It has something to do with my network cause I can leave it on without AIM or Azureus running and it wont lock up, but as soon as I start one of them and let it idle, the system will eventually lockup... So can anyone think of what would cause those programs to lock my computer up? Keep in mind I've never had problems with them before. And yes it's a built in screensaver that came with windows, and the system will lock if I use the monitor off settings instead, as well...
  14. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and just to make sure you understand, it's ONLY doing it when I leave the computer alone for 20+ minutes, if I'm using the surfing the net, playing a game, watching a movie, ANYTHING that keeps the system active it's fine, wont lock up, it only seems to lock up when the screensaver goes active, which is why it's messing with my mind... cause I could see if it constantly locks up... :confused: :p
  15. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey

duno if was sead

but bios might have power saveing on or sumthin

other then that id say windows ishew
  16. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    so i turned off the screen saver completely and monitor shut off setting turned to never, and turned off the monitor and let it sit for 4-5 hours and no lock up...any ideas?
  17. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    it could potentially be a conflict between aim/az with your ss. idk.
  18. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    So what do you think... reinstall either both aim/azureus, or unistall all the service packs and reinstall windows? Cause I really don't feel like formatting again, lol... I lost like 30 gigs of space on my hd last time I formatted went from 160 down to 129
  19. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    i'd try that first. make sure its not conflicting with any other software on your system.

about the format: you didn't install large-format drive support in windows. there is a utility online from your hdd vendor that unlocks the rest of your space up to 160gb. its a limitation with windows, idk why.
  20. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Well the hdd was 160 before I reformatted it the first time, it used to show up that big... It's a Western Digital ... Other thing might be cause I had to buy an IDE RAID controller card to keep more than one hd on my cpu after I upgraded the mobo... only had one IDE slot
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  21. Lauren19 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone Please Help!?!?!

I've been dealing with this problem for a while now. My Computer (Windows Vista) is locking up constantly as if I just restarted it. It logs me off and I had to type a password to get back in. I removed the password, but any program I have running stops until I click my username to log back in. This is so annoying and time consuming. I have check all my power saving options (sleep mode, etc.) and set them all to "Sleep Never," "Hibernate Never," Never Never Never - But that's not the case it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...

Any help would be so greatly appreciated! :)

- Lauren :rockout:
  22. Hai New Member

Thanks Received: