1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer locks when installing things

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Frick, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    When I install or uninstall games and programs and such, the computer locks itself and I must do a hard reset to get going again. I've tried some games, some programs and it's all the same. An empty window is opened and then everything locks up.

It started when I installed Battlefield Heroes, but now it's gone from the system and I've done some registry repairs and the problem is still there. I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks for looking! :)
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not had the crashes but had the missing install\uninstall apps showing. At 1st i was using Revo Uninstaller to get around it.

All fixed now but not sure if it was by going in safe mode and loading Add & Remove programs or removing .net and reinstalling 3.5 which installs older versions too.

Problem started when MS updated .net and was not able to update GFWL which also mean i could not play GTA 4.

So i un-installed .net and spent hours trying to get .net 3.5 family to install which was messed up by some thing that the old versions had left behind lol. The issue started last week around Wednesday time i believe.
    Frick says thanks.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    format and reinstall windows.

If your system is so screwed up that you hardlock when uninstalling, its a good idea to do a fresh install before you lose everything.
    Frick says thanks.
  4. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Aww.. I did a fresh install on a brand new drive 2 weeks ago, and nothing is left from the other system as I can't even use that drive in this computer.

EDIT: @Asrock: The registry is whole the apps is gone from the list. :(

Also, doing a complete scan with ... everything there is to see if I have badness on my system. I'll be back.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Ahh :(. mine were there as Revo detected them. In that case you might want to consider reformatting again and even thing about checking for viruses and such too.

Ah you installing SP's manually ?. A while ago when only SP1 was available on Vista i found that a SP1 was courses so many issue's. The new revisions of SP1 are much better now and might be a idea to get a newer version of SP1 if you not already.

I always install all SP's and then my drivers IF required and what ever after that. When you reformat the HDD DO NOT do a quick format as that will not check for errors on the disk.
    Frick says thanks.
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar problem with Vista on one of my old machines when it first released. It was a 2GHz s478 P4. It couldn't use it if I tried to install some things. While it seemed liked the installer locked the computer, it was actually just it being completely bogged down, and if I let them run for a rediculously long time, they would actually finish installing eventually.

I minimized it by disabling System Restore. Made a huge difference. A lot of the bogging came from the system trying to build a restore point.

If trimming down some services don't work. I'd consider testing my ram with memtest86+ to see if it's faulty.
    Frick says thanks.
  7. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I left it on for like 4 hours and it was still down. Sigh. Now some games are crapping out as well. Seems like a format/reinstall is the answer. Oh, scanned with antivirus, Adaware, and Spybot - nothing. :(

Thank you for taking your time! :)
  8. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Turned out it was a bad graphic card. And now it feels like everything else is crapping out on me. :(