1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by u2konline, Apr 14, 2009.

1. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Haven't done this in a long time, but just now my computer was making a loud straining noise and then it goes away?

My computer is very cool right now, because i have it cool in the house, temps on 8400gs is like 40c and my hard at 34c, etc I also clean out my PSU today. I wouldn't say this was a bad sign with the noise, because it makes the noise before and it goes away. Any ideas?
  2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I had a vidcard that would squeal when I started a game. Is there a pattern to when you hear the noise?
  3. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    probably either, your hdd or your psu
  4. Rock God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hdd?
  5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its probably straining under all that impressive hardware:rolleyes: Whats the age of the individual parts and are you sure its just not taking a daily crap :D
  6. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    That means a fan is dying. Trust me I've had a couple dozen builds over 15 years and I've heard this many times. Soon enough something will begin roasting.
  7. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I remember a couple years ago, when i playing this one game with my BFG 6200, after playing for about 2 hours or so, i heard the noise, but i don't think it had anything to do with my card. I haven't been able to detect where its coming from lol

Nah my HD is cool, at 39c and my PSU always seems to blow up cool or cold air, it never gets warm for some reason.

8400GS i just bought this year, but it was making this noise years ago, it just comes and goes. My Internal HD which is 10GB has been in the rig since 2000 :laugh: The PSU which is 90watts has been in the system since 2000. I clean it every year. It could be the PSU, but its working fine tho, or it could be the fan or something, who knows.

Are you sure? It makes the noise then goes away and i notice it doing it like back in 2002 and now its 2009. But its possible i am just straining the rig thats all.
  8. Rock God New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe there's a human inside your PC and it's asking for a major update, until then it's thinking "make noise, rawr!"
  9. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I already did one update , you know with the dell blowing up haha. But anyways, i was just curious about the noise. It comes and goes, only seem to do it every few months for about 4 mins then it goes away.

I guess next time it happens, i will remove the tower so i can get a better sense to where its coming from, but its possible you guys are right, its the PSU. Even tho it never gets warm, it does get cool, sometimes cold depending on what my room temp is.

Peace
  10. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    A loud straining noise, you do mean like a buzzing whzzzzrrrzrzrr kinda noise, it's not a PSU, it's a fan. Could be the PSU fan. For me it's usually been CPU fans.
  11. computerlab

computerlab New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol...its from ur psu....mine produces this sound too sometimes...and goes away...but it was in winters wen i had this noise..but not now..
  12. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah me too assuming its a fan dying sign. Because the sleeveless bearing in fan or bush in which armature is moving got cuts inside the surface.

And if the sound is coming after regular intervals then I am sure it is your HDD going to die.
  13. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a fan. If the PSU smells at the back, it is PSU, capacitor going away
  14. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    might be a motherboard capacitor about to pop like a big juicy teenage zit, might wanna watch out for it, check your motherboard for any leaky CAps